Please Critique my Sump Design!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

to put your mind at ease about power failure add a check valve right after your return pump. Try to use a swivle type valve if you can. But most sizes of that type are 1 1/4" at the smallest. Another option would be a spring loaded check valve but if you use those you lose some volume from you return pump so take that into consideration. Also to make plumbing easier be sure to use unions and valves to make any future modifications and pump cleaning and repairs easier

nice idea. Plumbing is almost all done now. I have lots of unions and 3 or 4 valves.

I ended up ordering a second overflow box so I now have 2 drains (each with a valve, one with a Tee off to the fuge).

Am actually about to put my return pump in and going to lowes to get stuff for the connection.

Good idea about the check valve. My sump is big so should be able to hold the water, but that will be a nice safety.

I plan on attaching the pump to the rigid PVC frame with a short length of flexible tubing. I'll add in a check valve, and possibly another union also.

Thanks! Off to lowes. Bad boy is finally almost ready for water.

Oh, and I ended up going with 2 drains with 1" pipe. Less holes to drill, and seems good to stay on a 1" standard. Second drain gives me a backup incase one of the drains or overflow boxes clogs.

rob

Hey Guys,
I recommend all of you visiting or Joining PSAS. This Months speaker specializes in building Sumps and other gadgets. You may have read his articles, seen him at a larger Conference. Marc Levenson will be doing a presentation this month. You can look him up as Melev's Reef or just cruise the front page of RC. I really looked forward to this presentation. I am having surgery for shoulder or I would definitely be there. It should be a awesome presentation for anyone in Hobby! Another speaker for Do it yourself people! This is another example of a speaker that enjoys hobby and ability to help others!

Here is a link. http://melevsreef.com/

The PSAS January 2010 meeting will be a speaker meeting with Marc Levenson. Marc is the owner of the website melevsreef.com where he shares several DIY projects and other reef keeping articles for the hobbyist. He is also working on a new website to be launched on 1/10/10.
At the meeting, Marc will be sharing his insights on “Large fish tanks and tank rooms”. Please welcome him in his visit to The Puget Sound Aquarium Society.

When?
January 16th, 2010 (1:00 PM – 5:00 PM)

Where?
Meridian Grange Hall #265
15422 SE 272nd St.
Kent, WA 98042-4231

I want to kick my doctor in the knee because of timing on this one! lol. Seriously if you are hobbyist I hope you build a lasting memory of how great this hobby is shared!

If your looking for a swing type check valve check out marinedepot.com under their plumbing parts section. They have swing type check valve from 1/2" to 2"

If your looking for a swing type check valve check out marinedepot.com under their plumbing parts section. They have swing type check valve from 1/2" to 2"

So how bad is the spring type? I blew air through it at Lowe's and it seemed to offer some resistance, but didn't seem too bad. Looked all over for the swing type, but they didn't have any.

I added the check valve on the top of my return line (by the tank) with a union on either side, so I can change it out if need be. Do you think the spring type is going to be a problem and I need to switch? Or should it not have too much effect?

Let me know what you guys think about this. If the spring is ok, I'll roll with it for awhile at least. The cost of all the plumbing stuff is really starting to add up.

thanks for the input guys

rob

well if you can try to. try a test run and see what the flow is like. seeing that you have a union right there at the check valve run a test with and without it see if there is a difference in flow

Back