please help id this starfish....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

malmom

It is a about the size of a quarter....Its the first time it has been on the glass so I am hoping someone can tell me if its good or bad before I lose it in the rock again.....Thank you!!!!

Last edited:
I read they eat coraline algae, does anyone know if that is true? I have a bunch in my tank, I'm pretty sure they are nocturnal. I've seen them with 3 to 7 legs lol.

I read they eat coraline algae, does anyone know if that is true? I have a bunch in my tank, I'm pretty sure they are nocturnal. I've seen them with 3 to 7 legs lol.

I dont know if it true or not but they sure arent eating any in my sisters tank.
I also have never seen one with the perfect star shape

Astrea Stars

I have lots and lots and they do seem to feed on the coraline algae's surface but are probably just eating surface film since they have almost perfect camoflage to match it. I've never seen them on any corals other than my Monti caps occasionally but leave no damage behind.Now I'm thinking it might be time to try a Harlequuin shrimp for natural control.

Todd

Those things can become a nuisance. I had them in my 40b. I started with a few which didn't bother me and then half a year later they were in the thousands. It pretty much covered almost all my glass surface when the lights has been off for a couple hours. You have to use your mag float to clean scrape them off the class every day! I have some in my 270g now from them hitch hiking on the corals I transfered from the 40b. Their numbers are not much now but I am planning to get 2-4 harlequin shrimps to keep thier population down or better yet decimate them.

Yes they ate my coraline algae but a harlequin shrimp took care of them.

They are harmless scavengers. In a cleaner tank, they eat what they can find which is Coraline as last resort. In a nutrient rich system, they can reproduce like crazy.

I enjoy having a few of them...

I measured it with a quarter and it was exactly the same size....I was thinking it was a asternia starfish but I didn't realized they got that big....I have a lot of the little ones but can only find that one big one...Thank you all for the info I appreciate it....

"Yes they ate my coraline algae but a harlequin shrimp took care of them".

Hey "Saltwaterfishes" Do you still have the Harlequin shrimps and were the Astrea enough to feed them without adding a starfish?

Todd

"Yes they ate my coraline algae but a harlequin shrimp took care of them".

Hey "Saltwaterfishes" Do you still have the Harlequin shrimps and were the Astrea enough to feed them without adding a starfish?

Todd

I had a lot of starfish and seems to be gone in less than a month. No, I don't have the harlequin shrimp anymore:(....I waited too long to buy another starfish. I bought a med size starfish and he finished it in 2 weeks. I know I could have cut a piece of the starfish and make it last longer but I couldn't do it.

astrea starfish harmless. We have tons in my sisters tank.

Yes, in most cases.

I have lived with them for years without worry. Suddenly this year they started eating zoa frags in my tank. Not zoa colonies, just newly introduced frags. I also had a larger one eat a sick pocillopora a couple years ago.

99% of the time they are harmless but sometimes........I would remove one that big just to be safe.

I ended up with some of them that hitchhiked on some live rock, they multiply like crazy and they WILL destroy zoa's and montipora's, coraline algae etc. Get the harlequins unless your wanting a FOWL tank

As with any scavenger, in a nutrient rich soup with poor water quality, they will feed and reproduce. They are mostly algae eating including coraline, and do no generally predate on healthy corals.

Astrea stars

I agree with Mike, hundreds in my tank for YEARS and NEVER a problem with them eating corals of any type Softies, LPS or SPS. The worst thing about them is if you have an acrylic tank you dont want to run over them with your magnetic scrapers. I am looking to get a Harlequin Shrimp but not to get rid of them but to have a natural & self-sustaining food source.

Todd

Their numbers are not much now but I am planning to get 2-4 harlequin shrimps to keep thier population down or better yet decimate them.

I know the feeling of having thousands when turning off the light like you mentioned. However unless you really like buying starfish I would stick with a pair max. These things really go through some food. I bought one for the 240 about 2 years ago and he decimated the tank of stars in less than 2 months. Then would go through a full size chocolate chip in about a one month.

Good luck to whatever you do :)
Thanks,

-augustus

Back