Please HELP! Which Calcium Reactor to buy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nozleman

Acropora
Can you guys please help me decide on the best calcium reactor. I am setting up a 144g Hard and softies, Which reactor is the easiest to setup and dial in? Set it and forget it. My budget is $600.00, Please help I cannot make up my mind??????

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Which calcium reactors are you looking at? Have you checked out the Geo Reactor, yet?

I had the Coralife 250 and it was a decent reactor but there are better ones out there than that one. I used that reactor on my 90 SPS tank and did the job. I would suggest going with a better reactor though. I t pays off in the end.

I can give you some second hand information, I recently saw a guy that had both & prefered the GEO, It has a few advantages over the other.

I have a Shuran Jetstream 1 and like it. Others have had bad experiences with them. I am also considering the Geo for my new tank since it is significantly cheaper. These may be overkill for anything less than 200 gal.

I've got a Korralin and am kindda annoyed w/ it. If I buy another one it will be a GEO reactor.

Nick

I have had a Koralin for 3 years now and no problems I love it. The only problem I ever had was setting the original bubble rate, but once it was set I haven't had to do much with it.

Chris

I have a GEO and love it. Would highly recomend and don't think you'd be disaapointed. It's Built like a tank. Schuran is supposed to be about the same effectifness, maybe a little better on gas exchange, but costs more. I do like the looks of both very much.

Given a $600 budget, If you went with the GEO, you'd might have some $ left over for a for another new toy :D :D :D

What bubble rate and effluent rate do you use and what is the size of the tank for your GEO? I just acquired a 618 for a 300. Certainly has more media capacity than the Shuran Jetstream 1 but a smaller Eheim pump. Well, now I have both to compare.

What bubble rate and effluent rate do you use and what is the size of the tank for your GEO? I just acquired a 618 for a 300. Certainly has more media capacity than the Shuran Jetstream 1 but a smaller Eheim pump. Well, now I have both to compare.

I just picked up the same one used. Its been running for only 5 days, I'll give it 5 more if no improvement it will be up for sale. As of now all I can say is its pretty, but thats it.

Don

On my Geo 618 I am getting great Kh in the effluent but only 400 on the calcium with a Salfert Test kit. Doing 30bpm and 50 ml effluent. Does anyone get at least 450 Calcium with the Geo reactor.

On my Geo 618 I am getting great Kh in the effluent but only 400 on the calcium with a Salfert Test kit. Doing 30bpm and 50 ml effluent. Does anyone get at least 450 Calcium with the Geo reactor.

The ca output doesnt matter. Your starting ca must be pretty low or your alk output is not all that great. 3x the target alk should be easy to achieve.

Don

You shouldn't worry about trying to go up to 450 in the first place, anywhere between 400 & 420 is enough.

Just thought I would cnime in here.

I have seen almost all the reactors you guys are talking about in use and have seen alot of different results. But the fluidized Deltec reactors are the best I have ever seen work and the easiest to maintain. I didnt really beleive in calcium reactors until I saw what a deltec could do. I know they cost bucks but whatever you pay it is well worth it.

Like scooterman said you dont want calcium to go too high. Around NSW is best.

Good Luck!

Back