Plumbing Parts HELP!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
Today I finally got my predrilled 60 gallon tank (48" x 15" x 20") with an internal overflow and 3 holes in it.

1 - 1" drain hole
2 - 1/2" return holes

The guy from the store was charging me around $160 for the tubing which to me sounded like too much money for plastic tubing so I need help with gettng everything that's neccesary to get it going.

Please advice! :confused:

Last edited:
Hey Carlos...Here are a few questions to get us going:)

(1) Did you get any bulkheads to go in the holes that were drilled?

(2) How do you want the drain from the prefilter to enter the sump? Are you planning on going through a bulkhead or just sit the tubing/plumbing down into the sump?

(3) How would you prefer to plumb everything (return as well as input to the sump)? All using vinyl tubing or pvc?

(4) What size is the return output on your return pump

Hey Carlos...Here are a few questions to get us going:)

(1) Did you get any bulkheads to go in the holes that were drilled?

(2) How do you want the drain from the prefilter to enter the sump? Are you planning on going through a bulkhead or just sit the tubing/plumbing down into the sump?

(3) How would you prefer to plumb everything (return as well as input to the sump)? All using vinyl tubing or pvc?

(4) What size is the return output on your return pump

So much to learn!!! LOL

1) I didn't get any bulkheads

2) Don't know what a prefilter is so I guess I don't have one and I think I should use a bulkhead to direct the plumbing down to the sump.

3) Yes, return as well as input to the sump. Which one is better vinyl tubing or PVC?

4) I haven't bought my return pump yet. I was waiting to get this first so that I know what size I should look for.

Thanks a lot for your help! I'm totally LOST!

Last edited:
LOL...You'll learn real quick;)

Ok...For starters, you'll need bulkheads to go in the holes otherwise, you won't have any way to seal the holes or attach any plumbing to the hole.

Here is a link to where you can buy some bulkheads...
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Bulkheads

The prefilter is the same thing as an overflow just another name. Were the holes drilled on the back of the tank or through the bottom? I'm pretty sure it must be the back, but I'll ask just to make sure...

As for vinyl tubing or pvc it depends. PVC will last longer and is what I use. Let me know on where the holes are and I'll get you some pics to show you some ways to do it. Do you have any pics of your tank now and your sump that I can use to go by?

LOL...You'll learn real quick;)

Ok...For starters, you'll need bulkheads to go in the holes otherwise, you won't have any way to seal the holes or attach any plumbing to the hole.

Here is a link to where you can buy some bulkheads...
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Bulkheads

The prefilter is the same thing as an overflow just another name. Were the holes drilled on the back of the tank or through the bottom? I'm pretty sure it must be the back, but I'll ask just to make sure...

As for vinyl tubing or pvc it depends. PVC will last longer and is what I use. Let me know on where the holes are and I'll get you some pics to show you some ways to do it. Do you have any pics of your tank now and your sump that I can use to go by?

Yes the trapezoid overflow it's in the back. The drain hole (1") is in the middle and the 2 returns (1/2") on each side of the drain.

I'm going to use PVC since it seems to be what everybody uses. I don't have any pictures yet since my camera died recently.

Besides the bulkheads what else do I need for the internal overflow plumbing?

I was checking out the web and I came across this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...tId=12078&prodId=23429&catId=1137977&siteid=6

Thanks again!
Carlos

Yeah...They are neat standpipes, but they come from the bottom up and you will have to come out of the back up...Not sure if you've seen this before, but here's what Martin (Finn) did with his.

So, for the drain down, you'll need the bulkhead first. Then on the inside of the tank, you'll need an elbow, then some PVC going up and then a couplin with a strainer on the end. For the outside, from the bulkhead, you'd need a Tee with a cap on top and then pvc running down to the sump. I like to use the flex pvc for lines like that which need to curve so you can get a nice gradual bend and not hard pipe with a bunch of elbows and 45's. I'll sketch something in paint real quick to show you what I just described for the drain. Once we get that sorted out, then we can work on the return. I'll also get a few photos I have as well. BRB:)

Here's what I described above which is basically what Martin (Finn) did. Maybe he'll chime in if he sees the thread and tell me if I have it right. The grey parts are the pvc fittings.

Here's how my overflow attaches to my sump. This a an older shot of the back of the tank, with less plumbing on it so you can see the drain line better. The red arrow is pointing to the drain line and you can see it attaching to the sump.

This picture shows the raw hole (like you have) without the bulkhead

And if you look really good here, you can see the bulkhead inserted into the hole and the line coming in from the back of the tank

How's that so far??

Hey krish75,

Thank you so much that was very helpful! Unfortunately I just realized that I didn't explain myself well. The holes in my tank come from the bottom up instead of the side.

Still that gives me a good idea of what I have to do. Is it too different when the holes come from the bottom up?

By the way, nice Paint draw, mine are usually so crapy!

One more thing that has nothing to do with this. If I ever want to add a UV Sterelizer where would I install it?

Last edited:
Hey krish75,

Thank you so much that was very helpful! Unfortunately I just realized that I didn't explain myself well. The holes in my tank come from the bottom up instead of the side.

Still that gives me a good idea of what I have to do. Is it too different when the holes come from the bottom up

No problem:) About the hole coming from the bottom up, is much better IMO. You won't need all those bends and stuff which will allow the water to drain down more smoothly, which in turn helps to prevent all the gurgling that comes from some drain lines. That's odd they were able to drill the bottom of your tank. Most tanks have tempered bottoms! Well, if that is the case, you can go with one of those standpipe kits like you linked on the 5th post! That will make life easy for you:)

By the way, nice Paint draw, mine are usually so crapy!

LOL...I use the magnifying glass most of the time to draw stuff:p

One more thing that has nothing to do with this. If I ever want to add a UV Sterelizer where would I install it?

You can run the UV from your sump. Depending on what all equipment you use or how much flow the sterilizer needs to run through it, you can plumb it inline of your return pump, use an extra pump in the sump to circulate water through it and back into the sump, you can plumb it inline of a cannister filter etc. So many options...You can even go with a slightly larger return pump (depending on how much flow the UV requires) and "Y" the retrun pump, use ball valves to control the flow and send one output back to the tank and the other through the UV back into the sump. Options are almost endless:)

Yes the trapezoid overflow it's in the back. The drain hole (1") is in the middle and the 2 returns (1/2") on each side of the drain.

I'm going to use PVC since it seems to be what everybody uses. I don't have any pictures yet since my camera died recently.

Besides the bulkheads what else do I need for the internal overflow plumbing?

I was checking out the web and I came across this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...tId=12078&prodId=23429&catId=1137977&siteid=6

Thanks again!
Carlos

Carlos,
check out this site

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

That's odd they were able to drill the bottom of your tank. Most tanks have tempered bottoms!

I ended up returning the first tank and getting a custom made one with the measurements I wanted and the overflow built in. Of course it was more money but I got exactly what I wanted.

Well, if that is the case, you can go with one of those standpipe kits like you linked on the 5th post! That will make life easy for you

The thing is that my tank has 2 return holes (1/2" each) so that kit won't be enough. In addition I need for figure out a way to connect both returns to only one output from the return pump.

I ended up returning the first tank and getting a custom made one with the measurements I wanted and the overflow built in. Of course it was more money but I got exactly what I wanted.

That's really cool man. Better to pay more and get what you want:)

The thing is that my tank has 2 return holes (1/2" each) so that kit won't be enough. In addition I need for figure out a way to connect both returns to only one output from the return pump.

Well in that case, the returns are easy to make. You just use your bulkhead in the hole, add your plumbing upwards and then when you get to the top, add a threaded female elbow, then thread one of these into it http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...ROD&Product_Code=MPPC2&Category_Code=lockline than you can use the lockline tubing you can buy by the foot http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...ROD&Product_Code=MPMP2&Category_Code=lockline and put whatever nozzle you want on the end like these 2 or http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...ROD&Product_Code=MPNF2&Category_Code=lockline

Here's the same thing I explained above like I have on my tank. The only difference is my plumbing goes sideways and yours will be going upwards. When I get home, I can take some closeups of all the parts so you can see it better:)

Last edited:
I removed one of the links for the nozzles Carlos, because the link wasn't working, but you can go here to see all of the lockline pieces. It was the 1/2 straight nozzle 3/8 I tried to put up a link for:)

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=lockline

Hi Krish,

Thanks again. It seems like the returns are very easy to build. Actually I think I'm going to do what you did with yours splitting each return in 2 so that I can point the flow in different directions.

Would you recommend to get a ready to install kit like Aquaflow or DursoStandpipes, for the drain or create my own and save some $$?

Last edited:
Well, I have never used either, but definately for the drain, I'd get something like the durso or the Aquaflow. It's made to cancel out gurgling noises etc so I would get either one of those. As for the return, I'd just make that one up. Nothing spectacular there so I'd just go ahead and make that one up as it is straight forward. If you need some closeup shots of my return as well as some of the parts let me know so I can take some pics and post them. I'm not sure if you got all the info you need yet so I don't mind at all if some pics will help:)

Nice pictures Krish, thanks!

Just wondering if there is any place where I can get the modular pipes and nozzles in blue color, it would look better with my blue background.

Is there any place where I can find those drain pipes by itself other than Durso's website? I like how the Aquaflow is built. I am going to do the returns by myself. The only question I have is how do I supply both returns with just one pump without losing too much flow?

Last edited:
Nice pictures Krish, thanks!

Just wondering if there is any place where I can get the modular pipes and nozzles in blue color, it would look better in my blue background

Look here:) http://www.savko.com/portal/loc-line.asp

Is there any place where I can find those drain pipes by itself other than Durso's website? I like how the Aquaflow is built. I am going to do the returns by myself. The only question I have is how I supply both returns with just one pump without losing too much flow?

I think you can...Some of the others will know better than me. There have been a few threads as well here with people making almost exact replicas of the durso standpipes that may chime in if you started a thread about them. As for splitting the flow, I've noticed you get more out of each nozzle when the Y is almost at the outputs rather than coming right off of the pump into a Y. Nevertheless, it would be quite easy to run dual outputs up. You'd just need to use possibly a Tee under the stand and let your plumbing go up from there. If you look through that link I posted above (at the main page http://www.savko.com/ )at the other plumbing things, you may find something very useful. They have all sorts of weird PVC fitting:)

Is there any place where I can find those drain pipes by itself other than Durso's website? I like how the Aquaflow is built. I am going to do the returns by myself. The only question I have is how do I supply both returns with just one pump without losing too much flow?

You can buy the parts individually and make one yourself.
Lowes or Home Depot.
You might have better flow if you just used one of the return holes and split the flow after it comes over the top.

Back