Plumbing Parts HELP!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I finally got a chance to take some pictures of my tank and the holes drilled in the overflow box with the actual measurements. Please let me know what kind of bulkheads I should get for them.

000.jpg

00.jpg

888.jpg

Looks great man...I don't know of the actual bulkhead measurements, but it looks like Martin has it covered:)

I just went to the Marine Depot website and seached for bulkhead fittings and got the sizes there.:)

Looks great man...I don't know of the actual bulkhead measurements, but it looks like Martin has it covered:)

Hey Krish,

I was checking out the plumbing work you did in your cube and I was wondering what's the name of the part in the following picture? please let me know, thanks!

2sw0.jpg

Hey Carlos...The black round part the nozzle is threaded into is a bulkhead. The same thing you'll use to put in the holes that were drilled. The ones I have are threaded on the inside so I could screw in that lockiline male adapter and make up my lockline nozzles. They come in slip or threaded. HTH:)

I plan to buy my bulkheads tomorrow, any brand or place recommended? regular bulkheads or heavy duty? Standard Threaded or Double Threaded?

Carlos with them holes you need the standard BH's, the HD ones need bigger holes, check the sizes carefully. You can plumb most of your tank with PVC, & just buy your BH's & the Loc-lines like Krish has. look at his thread with his plumbing in it.

I plan to buy my bulkheads tomorrow, any brand or place recommended? regular bulkheads or heavy duty? Standard Threaded or Double Threaded?

I agree with Scooter...The standard ones like I have will work just fine. Here is the page on Premium Aquatics website where I got my bulkheads from http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Bulkheads As to which ones would depend on how you plan to plumb. I like threaded on both sides (inside the tank and outside) so that you can use threaded adapters incase you ever need to change up something, you won't have to buy bulkheads all over again. You can simply just take out the threaded adaptors and change up things. With my setup, I used the slip on the back because I didn't have much space for the plumbing to fit behind the tank so I had to eliminate that one extra adapter, so now, if I ever need to change up, I have to buy all new bulkheads because my pvc is glued directly into the bulkhead from the back. HTH :)

I agree with Scooter...The standard ones like I have will work just fine. Here is the page on Premium Aquatics website where I got my bulkheads from http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Bulkheads As to which ones would depend on how you plan to plumb. I like threaded on both sides (inside the tank and outside) so that you can use threaded adapters incase you ever need to change up something, you won't have to buy bulkheads all over again. You can simply just take out the threaded adaptors and change up things. With my setup, I used the slip on the back because I didn't have much space for the plumbing to fit behind the tank so I had to eliminate that one extra adapter, so now, if I ever need to change up, I have to buy all new bulkheads because my pvc is glued directly into the bulkhead from the back. HTH :)

I think I'm going to use double threaded only. I plan to keep a 600 gph flow, do you think I should use both return holes or just 1 and split it?

Well, splitting a 600gph return may not give you all that much coming out especially when you factor in head loss etc. You may have to play with it some though and see which way you like it. :)

Yeah, but only if your overflow can handle the extra gph. I know a few people here know of some flow calculators that can work out what your overflow can handle...:)

Back