Poll: How Many plugs/outlets do you use?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

How Many plugs/outlets do you use?

• 1-4

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • 5-9

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • 10-14

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • 15-20

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • More than 20!!

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
I have 18 and even then I don’t have every thing plugged in that I could have plugged in. I only run the pump in the refrugium in the day time and the night moon lights at night. I have to manually switch the two because I’m just out of plugs and didn’t want to plug in power strips into power strips. It just didn’t seem to be a good idea.

My real concern is the power draw on that line. The circuit breaker the powers the two plugs I have the fish tank connected to also runs the whole living room and master bedroom. The fish tank is at the end of the line too. All the outlets in the bedroom get warm to the touch when the fish tank has been on all day and the tv and wii have been running. I have checked the power at the circuit breaker with a currant probe and its not over 15 amps with everything’s on but its getting close.

I have 18 and even then I don’t have every thing plugged in that I could have plugged in. I only run the pump in the refrugium in the day time and the night moon lights at night. I have to manually switch the two because I’m just out of plugs and didn’t want to plug in power strips into power strips. It just didn’t seem to be a good idea.

My real concern is the power draw on that line. The circuit breaker the powers the two plugs I have the fish tank connected to also runs the whole living room and master bedroom. The fish tank is at the end of the line too. All the outlets in the bedroom get warm to the touch when the fish tank has been on all day and the tv and wii have been running. I have checked the power at the circuit breaker with a currant probe and its not over 15 amps with everything’s on but its getting close.

Yea, I always wonder/worry about that as well. It's crazy!! I've never had warm outlets though. That's a first! Good luck with that!! Might want to get some feedback from scooty on that if you are at all concerned. :)

Suprisingly I only have 8 on the 29. I used to have near 30 on the 210 with four dedicated 20 amp circuits

So it seems 10-14 outlets is what the majority of tanks use so far by the voting. I imagined it would be somewhere in that area, but also, I thought there would be a bit more in the first or second category with the nano setups. :)

5.5 Gallon = 4
20H = 8
20L = 10
And it's looking like my new 65H will use approx 15-17 as it is planned now.

Dedicated GFI circuits protecting aquariums.

The new little pico tank I just set up will have 3 plugs.
The big tanks wouls have less if there wasn't so many dang plugs coming out of the lighting units. My one unit has 6 plugs on it. Thats just nuts!

Pretty sure I'm using 16 plugs for my 180+ reef. You don't want to see pictures of the power area, It's a mess!:heh:

We have a power strip with another power strip plugged into it just for the light timers and cooling fans. Then there is a DJ power strip that has everything else plugged in so not counting the power strips being plugged in themselves there are 11. If you count the power strips being plugged int here are 14.

I heard it was dangerous to plug a power strip into another power strip. If I remember right the person had a fire and the fire marshal suspected it was caused by this.

390g = 17 plugs, 8 involved in lighting and fans, so hopefully I will be able to reduce with the LEDs I am patiently (not) waiting for.

Krish-can you change my vote? I voted 14 then remembered my skimmer(2 pumps) and return pump all go to one power strip and I was only counting it as 1

Last edited:
I heard it was dangerous to plug a power strip into another power strip. If I remember right the person had a fire and the fire marshal suspected it was caused by this.

I can understand this if it were heavy use items plugged into the second power strip but we only have about 6-8w of LED lights and a few watts in computer fans plugged in to it. I can't see where that could possibly cause a problem. Maybe I'm wrong. Becca always proves me that way anyway :)

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Good grief I knew I had several, but even I was surprised. The big tank has this cool 4ft long Snap-On Power strip I bought at Costco last summer....it has 12, plus I have another sm. powerstrip that currently has 3 plugs full. The small tank is plugged into a couple of smaller powerstrips with 8 of them being used. Good grief! It's a wonder I don't pop breakers....lol
1bf214fd.jpg

Back