• Other (Specify)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Custom Glass

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Custom Acrylic

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

NC2WA

Since we haven't had a poll from Krish in some time, I thought I would start one of my own. :)

Comments on why you chose the type of tank you did are welcome, but optional.

Last edited:
Krish,

I have Other as a choice..Is that sufficient or does it need to be changed??

Krish,

I have Other as a choice..Is that sufficient or does it need to be changed??

That's cool! I voted other. I'm tankless now. Next setup I'm torn between glass and acylic. I like the acrylic for ease of customizing it and drilling it, but for starting up a new tank from scratch and having to go through the whole algae cycle, I'd rather have glass because I know the glass will need scraping quite a bit and acrylic is too delicate for me in this case. Also, I have kids which is another reason for wanting to go with glass. Guess time will tell whenever that is. :)

Kirk, you need to add Custom Acrylic & Custom Glass to the list. I'll wait to vote.....waiting.....hum-de-dum...waiting

Cheers, Todd

Agreed. However for me, the advantage of being able to drill the tank to add other items to the tank outweight the scratching issue. Case in point. The 80w UV sterilizer that I have was added 6 months after I had the tank up and running. Was able to drill a hole in the top of the tank for the return powerhead. It was a 15 min job. :)

Todd,

Done.

There you go, just for you :)

I need to change my vote from acrylic to custom acrylic. :)

You gotta love Marineland Deep Dimension Tanks. After having a custom Acrylic and having it degrade over time from halide heat stress and coralline removal these just don't have the longevity of glass. The glass now is superior in clarity than it was a decade ago, and the manufacturer is able to pre-drill or custom placement of desired overflows ect. for not much more $$. And, still 50% cheaper than tru custom builds for same design.

I have both acrylic and glass.

125 gallon acrylic with a glass sump
29 gallon acrylic
29 gallon biocube (glass)
10 gallon glass

Burke,

sounded like me several years ago when I lived in NC. :)

I had 3-4 tanks running at one time. then my wife said enough and gave me a good xmas present..have one BIG HUGE tank (up to 500g), but the catch was all other tanks had to go out of the house. so when I moved here to WA, I got my huge tank and QT tanks in the garage. :)

I have a custom Acrylic.
I choose Acrylic because I was able to build it the way I needed it.
It is an AIO, It has a 12gal fuge attached to one end of the DT portion.
I also had the Acrylic on hand
If I had my druthers, I druther have a custom Glass

I think it is awesome seeing how many people here have successfully built their own tanks!

I think it is awesome seeing how many people here have successfully built their own tanks!
good thing its not brain surgery!
a095.jpg

I have been trying to get a bigger tank, but she doesn't like the idea of that much water in one place. So I guess I am stuck with smaller tanks. It's not so bad. :)
Burke,

sounded like me several years ago when I lived in NC. :)

I had 3-4 tanks running at one time. then my wife said enough and gave me a good xmas present..have one BIG HUGE tank (up to 500g), but the catch was all other tanks had to go out of the house. so when I moved here to WA, I got my huge tank and QT tanks in the garage. :)

Sasq.
I made it into the 80's lol
Dude that is an awesome looking tank. Have you got some more pics of it ? And a little more background on it?

well done, next well attempt global warming lol.
Yes Peppie I have all the build pics, Ill post some up tonight

but she doesn't like the idea of that much water in one place

I am lucky..my tank is in a wall, and the stand, tank, and equipment is all in the garage..I don't know if my wife would have been that accomodating if the tank was entirely in the house. :)

Back