Poloyurethane foam and Aquascaping

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

abbydaisey

Has anyone used Polyurethane foam in aquascaping their reef tank?
I saw this used in a lfs used and have read that the foam is closed celled.
I have also read that once it sets and diminishes its fumes it is totally non toxic and does not break down.

i would ask someone who knows if it will be a nitrate trap? Live rocks are natural and great for hiding and for filtration I am not sure what you want it for some people use pvc to hold live rock in place or plastic egg crate for the same thing if that's what your trying for there are also shelving systems to hold rocks in place up and down left and right that allow water to move thru and you to remove and clean the rock . hope this was helpfull :)

We are building a 90 gal reef system and plan to use around 100 lb of live rock. Becaust the tank is used to divide two rooms, one a powder room, we need a complete divider in the middle of our 24" deep tank. The idea is to add more structure to the tank without the added weight of more live rock. We saw several tanks in a fish store in NJ (we live in NC) during X-mass travels that appeared to use "Great Stuff" dividers and are wondering if anyone has experience with using this type of produce in a reef system.
Thanks for helping me clarify!!

Plack, I had not seen that thread!! Most excellent!! That answers most of my questions. The only thing that is nagging me is my uncomfortableness with using paint in salt water. Do you have any thoughts?

im not sure if i am spelling this right but the coraline alge (purple stuff) would seem to cover all the paint ,also the paint would probably come off so i would not use paint if it were me let me know how it comes out :)

Back