Poor Unlucky Tang

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jlehigh said:
BTW I only have one fish with a name but if she pulle through her name will be "Maggie"

Yikes! Don't name her...according to MikeS, as soon as you name her it will be certain death :eek: ;) :)

This is truely meant in jest, but on that note... I was always told if your going to name the livestock it'd better be breakfast, lunch or dinner!! :lol:

Cheers
Steve

I know I know, but my buddy Humphrey is a happy healthy Tang and has had his name for over a year now... So although I don't name fish for that very reason, I have made a few exceptions.

I know I know, but my buddy Humphrey is a happy healthy Tang and has had his name for over a year now... So although I don't name fish for that very reason, I have made a few exceptions.

well you can name her Maggie, but i'll just keep calling her Dori :p .

jlehigh said:

ROFL - I think we talked about this before...I have a bicolor blenny named Humphrey. I've had him for well over a year, too. .....but, ever since I've heard about this superstition of naming fish, I don't name my favorites. Maybe Humphrey is a lucky name ;). Please post pics as the tang recovers.

LOL Steve! :lol:

man, thats so harsh, poor little guy, i hope he pulles through.
i'd say you have a good chance as long as he still eats well,
try to bolster his immune system(duh, like you didnt think of that),
garlic, omega 3's, vitamins, you know the drill...
good luck!!

Thanks guys. The Tang ate a hardy dinner tonight and there are no signs of infection or parasites sooooo so far so good.

Dude,

That really sucks. I hope she pulls through. Eating is a very good sign of lack of stress. Tangs generally discolor and stop eating pretty readily as i remember when they are going to kick the bucket. Somehow though I see the picture of her stuck with her head in the clam ending up on one of those e-mails saying, "Just when you thought your life sucked!":badgrin: :lol:

Wow, what a fish! Why don't you build her a submarine (a wet-sub of course) so that she can navigate around the tank without things damaging her any more? :)

I thought I was the only one who was "afraid" to name fish. Now I see it is a common superstition. How funny!

Yeah, I would definitely leave the fish in the tank but set up a quarantine tank just in case she starts getting worse. Good luck to you and the tang!

OK...I gotta know...why Maggie?

The Simpsons ?? :p.
No matter what, she's always gonna be known as Dori hmmm.. may be she IS trying to get to Australia :D ... just don't put her in a baggie.

lol you guys are too funny :)

She's still eating wonderfully and the abbrasions are beginning to heal :) Barring anymore accidents I think she'll be just fine.

I am naming her Maggie after the character in Million Dollar Baby, because she takes a lickn and comes back for more.. I have no intention of helping her kill herself though ;)

I'm glad she's doing fine :).
Now Maggie (Million dollar baby) wanted to be a fighter and she liked getting punched.... I doubt your tang thinks that way, maybe Dori thinks that she's still in the ocean and that she's helping Marlin to go to Australia :D .
But yeah don't help her kill herself dood.

Get that tang a leash or atleast a helmet! :lol: Glad he is doing well man...Like I've said, he's a trooper!:)

And nature takes its course...... :)

Nice job John! Definitely should heal well.

And hopefully i'm not jumping too far off topic....
In the order of fish diseases....and again...IMO...and IME...I am always curious as to why people take out fish from their main tank when its already severely stressed, and when it was healthy before.

And again...IMO...and IME...things like popeye, are best if you don't even touch or handle the fish, let alone chase it around and letting it bump everything. If prior to the accident a fish is perfectly 'healthy' there really isn't any need to give fish more stress.

Then again....I'm probably wrong, but always IMO.

Best,
Ilham

I have saved a couple of fish from certain death over the years and it sounds like this one will make it. I agree with SteveS on the QT tank but I only think you should QT a fish like this one if it can be caught easily. I have watched Kevinpo catch fish in his store and I don't think those fish even knew they were being caught. If you can figure that one out then taking a fish out of the tank is ok. I only QT fish that are an immediate threat to the entire tank.

Tim

Actually I never said to QT the fish, I said be prepared to. Unless a parasitic problem, QTing the fish in an uncycled tank would just make matters worse. If a well cycled QT was available I may have spoke differently. Nikki was right though, if the fish was able to be placed in an appropriate QT and the salinity lowered, it would have been a great benefit. Had the fish's injury been beyond just the tail ends, the tang would have had a extreme time of trying to maintain osmotic balance.

There are many advantages to leaving a fish in the main tank, especially in less severe circumstances. In regards to popeye, this is often a misdiagnosed problem. Most eye problems tend to be from injury. If only one eye has a slight buldge, it's not popeye and leaving the fish is actually the best choice. Plenty of water changes with well aged/aerated SW along with heavily fortified feedings does the trick just nicely. If true popeye where both eyes are affected, buldging and cloudy; QT with antibiotics is almost a certainty. Typically I will suggest the previous route first but more often than not it will need treament.

Cheers
Steve

Back