Porcupine puffer and frogspawn ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dalbery

Saltwater Nut
I'm just setting up my large tank and would love to have a porcupine puffer. Will these puffers eat hammer, frogspawn, or anenomes? What about a harlequin tusk? Either one of these fish I would get small ones.
Thanks,
Darrell

The Harlequin Tusk is a carnivore. Although I do not keep reef tanks, I would highly doubt that this fish would bother a coral (assuming it is properly fed).

Lee,
Thank you. That's good news. What about the Porcupine puffer? They are my family and my absolute favorite. Everytime we see one we all ooh and ahh like we are looking at a cute puppy!!

Again. . .I'm not a reefer. :)

However I can take a guess and tell you why I make such a guess:

1. This Puffer is an omnivore;
2. This Puffer is one that has a 'beak' (and this is important because it has to grind its 'beak' down to keep them the proper length).

Thus, I'd say it would love to chomp into coral and grind it down to sand.

One of the ways to 'feed' these guys is to put whole raw shrimp into plaster of Paris and let it set. Then this guy cracks the plaster open to get the shrimp. Over time this guy will need you to grind its beak down even doing the plaster feeding.

Thus I'd put this fish in a fish-only aquarium and one that is fairly large (125g or larger).

;)

I've had a porcupine in fish only takes and they are sooo much fun. I have no idea with frogspawn and other corals, I think you might be safe but that is just pure optimism because they are such a fun fish. Hermits and snails that can fit in its mouth won't stand a chance, neither will clams, and I think shrimp you can get lucky but I'd treat it as the exception.

Back