Possible white spot

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ick is in every tank. a lot of times its brought on by stress and other factors. finding the cause is the best bet. ick has a 30 day cycle but I am not going to go into that right now. Yes garlic does work. I soak my food in garlic and also add right to the tank. for a long time my hippo tang kept getting ick I started adding it and it went away. I also added a UV sterilizer about 6 months later. I have had no more issues with ick I still use garlic in all my tanks. as for the fresh water dip it will help but not cure.

I hope most readers here take these opinions with a grain of salt. There is a lot of truth in all the posts, but MI is not a religion, it is an actual parasitic life form and can be prevented and cured as desired. It is NOT in all tanks, it is NOT cured with garlic. Fresh water dips can temporarily relieve a distressed fish, but will NOT cure it.

The only prevention is through quarantine procedures and the only way to cure a tank is through copper (not workable with live rock or corals) or leaving it fallow for 6-8 weeks. As to curing the fish already diseased, there are only three proven methods. If anyone wishes to spend some time reading up on the current state of science on Ich, Lee has excellent info.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27003

Very interesting thread. It starts out with a simple question, followed by some genuine concern and advice from other members, then evolves into the typical who's smarter than who contest of perceived accuracy and anointed authoritarianism.

ecobalance’s advice to dip the fish is supported by Lee’s article.

Here’s the sentence.
leebca;294663 [I said:
Freshwater dips can kill some of the parasites on/in the fish, but not all...” [/I]
QUOTE]

So these statement “freshwater baths do not do anything for ich!!!” and “You must be talking about the fresh water dipping bull.” are completely wrong according to Lee’s accounting.

Other points of interest noticed during my speedy perusal are contained within the article itself referring to proper diet and rest as “looney”.

”I compare this approach to this one: "Granny has pneumonia. Let's keep her home rather than take her to the hospital. We'll feed her well with chicken soup and vitamins -- and lots of garlic." :looney: Nutrition, foods, garlic, vitamins don't cure an infected fish.”

This opinion, although respected on my part would completely negate and relegate all the nutritional benefits of a healthy eating regimen and proper lifestyle choices recently adopted by western civilization to that of a trivial status in terms of overall wellness. Since it is the immune system that staves off the infection/parasite it only stands to reason that a healthy fish/person will recover/heal quicker. In case you’re wondering why I mentioned western civilization: Eastern/Asian traditional medical & wellness practitioners don’t focus as much effort on the reasons people die of disease and illness prematurely. They focus on the reasons and lifestyle choices that enable people to live long lives.

My point is that nearly all accounts contain some truths and no one person or institute or line of reasoning/opinion should be viewed as gospel. Take global warming for instance. For every scientist that blames humans there is one who does not. Logic would dictate we should keep our minds open to experiences of other and discern carefully with consideration what others have written. I think we can all learn from one another.

I hope most readers here take these opinions with a grain of salt. There is a lot of truth in all the posts, but MI is not a religion, it is an actual parasitic life form and can be prevented and cured as desired. It is NOT in all tanks, it is NOT cured with garlic. Fresh water dips can temporarily relieve a distressed fish, but will NOT cure it.

The only prevention is through quarantine procedures and the only way to cure a tank is through copper (not workable with live rock or corals) or leaving it fallow for 6-8 weeks. As to curing the fish already diseased, there are only three proven methods. If anyone wishes to spend some time reading up on the current state of science on Ich, Lee has excellent info.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27003

I have to agree.

all good points.

All good points,and i have to admit i was going on the assumption that this case was brought on by a newly aquired fish. Health of the fish,and propper diet,are all good points,and yes some fish are more likely to get it than others. The only advise i don't agree with is the ''you should just watch it and see what happens'' part.Believe it or not the only way to be 100 percent sure [without copper]is to seperate fish from coral inverts,and rock,and let tank run with rock,inverts,and corals for 4 to 6 weeks,and than watch fish in a seperate area,or visa versa.Depending on the age of the tank,this is also a perfect time to do that long overdue tank remodel[new sand,swap out a few nasty rocks,and re-decorate. Now you can right it off as experance and do all those things with your tank you wish you would of done.Example..........on my first salt set up''Iwish i woulda''...............................1peged base together with pvc,or plastic coat hangers,so they dont keep falling over every time im cleaning and barely touch them.2..got base elevateted above sand so my sand bed would be more free of dead spots.and three that long over due 80 percent water change.Now and only now ''ick''just became a good thing.So back to fish enjoyment 101.

One spot could be anything or nothing. If its ich it will go through its cycle and in a few days if the fish has more spots, then take action. I would never pull a fish out for one spot.
But doesn't matter..I think we scared idgy away anyway:eek:

I don't think he bailed, just watching the madness ;)
I jumped into this one with the best intentions in mind. I will bow out now that i have said my peace. It did turn into a great learning thread for me though on reading, yet again, the ich subject.
I see again that "text is a poor form of communication"
(but fun)

Ich is just one of those subjects that causes threads to go downhill..Religion, politics and ich.. things you shouldn't talk about on these forums;)
Oh and deep sand beds but I don't want to change the subject:D

Wow i read through the articles and it was so misleading

im glad the people that was giving advice on here didnt get ahold of me when i posted my noob ?s about a qt tank and ich

i was completley lead in to what i belive to be the right direction as far as ich goes

if no one has mentioned this ich is a parasite that can only survive if it has a host, and if no host is there for present than it cant survive

ich cannot survive on any inverts either so if there was an out break all the inverts are fine.

i belive ich has a 8 week period it CAN survive without a host but im gonna wait 10 to be safe

ALL fish should be removed from the tank in this time period

30 gallon tanks are very inexpensive, and if your in this hobby i would think you could afford one, just the tank, it wouldnt be hard to find or build a stand for it, no special filtration for it either or protein skimming just a reg hob filter

By the way hermits are inverts correct and i can leave them in my tank and not worry about the ich right???

i plan to just hypo my fish, and use some kind of ick preventive food, i dont know about the copper yet

hope this thread helps

Glad i was lead in the right direction

i think 98% of the people on here will agree with me!!!

not saying the posts before were incorrect caus eeveryone can expierence different things its just nature, and chemistry and trial and error, but i feel this method is far more widely used and i would think more logical

youll find your own methods on how to do alot of stuff in this hobby, and some times you will be wrong.

its like politics like b-fly gurl said everyone has there own opinion, some like Bush and some dont,lol

good luck

hope this helps!!!

The spots do not seem the be showing up in any great numbers. But two of the fish every now and again are rubbing up against the rocks. One fish has cause an open wound from brushing up against the rocks and shells. That has me a little concerned and not sure what to do.

Other than the rubbing up against the rocks I have not noticed many white spots at all.

Not scared away. Just a busy weekend. :)

Thanks for all your input everyone!

Any thoughts on the open wound?

Oh good, there you are!
Well, water quality issues can also cause scatching..How often do you do water changes? But if they are scatching enough to cause wounds, I would be concerned you introduced a parasite with your last fish.
The wound may heal on its own with good water and the addition of vitamins. If it gets worse, you may have to remove the fish and treat with an antibiotic.
You should probably post in Lee's forum. He is most helpful and could probably help you get to the bottom of this!

Thanks! Lee's forum? Maybe I am not seeing it, but where do I find this forum.

Oh I forgot, I do a water change once a week and add trace elements and vitamins. The last fish I introduced into the tank was a month ago and all this just started with in the last week.

I do not think I ever want to be a parent! These are just fish and I get all freaked out when something goes wrong.

I would hate to start another debate but i have a concern about the rubbing on rocks and such.
Do you have a grounding probe in the water? If not and even if you do, you might be dealing with stray voltage in the water. And that could be making your fish uncomfortable to the point of the rubbing to rid itself of a strange feeling in the water. Just a thought.

Back