Post your tank size and flow numbers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

150 gal display
1050 gph panworld return
5000 gph Sequence CL pump........about 6050gph total
Scott:)

90 AGA, will be a softie and LPS tank. Up for 218 days now. Mag 7, 2 Seio 1100's, 2 MJ 1200's. I figure right around 3190 GPH. 3 Frogspawn, 1 feather duster, 2 Clariki Clowns, mushrooms, several types of polyps, 1 green plate coral and 1 blue plate coral and a hydnophora coral.

What should I add next???

Regards,

Pat

OK, so sounds like a lot of people are running 600-1600gph pumps. Obviously there is a nice price plateau here and I can only assume they are still quiet at this point. Any other reasons?

How do u'all direct the flow, ie nozzles/internal plumbing/perf tubes? Jezzeaepi did a good job of explaining...

Since 40 gallons isnt a lot of space to work with, I put both PH's on the same side of the tank. One pointing towards the front panel and the other pointing at the back corner. This creates a turbid high flow in half my tank and medium to low on the other side. Hopefully this will mean I can find a good spot for just about any coral I want to get.

Mattseattle: as if 4500gph from one pump didn't sound cool enough you sould try converting to Tons per Hour! :lol: BTW 4500gph=18.75tph

Try this out: "Yeah, when I get her all cranked up she'll do 'bout 19 ton an ha'ur. 'course the pa'her company don't liike it much" :cool:

Ok since Krish asked, I'll post up some numbers

75 gallon mixed reef

Sequence Reefflo Dart closed loop :3600gph@ zero feet

Mag7 sump return 700 gph@ zero feet

the thing for newbies to remember is even though my dart says it puts out 3600 gph of flow after all the twists and turns the plumbing makes it drastically cuts down on ACTUAL flow to the tank. Im guessing Im getting about 2000-2500gph actual flow, couldnt tell you for sure b/c I havent measured actual flow.

hth

Hey Scott!! How ya been man? I asked Nikki about you the other day when I talked to her on the phone and she said you were real busy. Good to see you posting again and thanks for your reply:)

Hey Scott!! How ya been man? I asked Nikki about you the other day when I talked to her on the phone and she said you were real busy. Good to see you posting again and thanks for your reply:)

busy or lazy, not sure which. Im doin good thanks for asking.

Idon't know mine maybe you guys can help me out.
Tank size is a 210
Sequence dart with about 4' of head loss
2 TUNZE 6100 set at 100%

I haven't a clue!

what kind of pump is the sequence dart? and whats it's max output? If its a centrifigul pump of the non-high-head varity a rough guess would be about 50-75% of max, maybe more if its a really big pump.

I have a 180gal tank, with a 90gal sump.

Hammerhead Closed Loop Pump - 5800gph
Iwaki 40RLXT Recirc Pump - 1200gph

So... about 7K gph total flow.

Idon't know mine maybe you guys can help me out.
Tank size is a 210
Sequence dart with about 4' of head loss
2 TUNZE 6100 set at 100%

I haven't a clue!

The Sequence Dart pushes about 3600gph. There isn't a head loss, due to input pressure being the same head height as the output pressure. Only would need to figure loss for line loss, and elbow's and the like. Just figure you're close to 3600gph.

The Tunze's... they claim are 3175gph. Again, no head loss, since they are in the tank just pushin water.

The Sequence Dart pushes about 3600gph. There isn't a head loss, due to input pressure being the same head height as the output pressure. Only would need to figure loss for line loss, and elbow's and the like. Just figure you're close to 3600gph.

The Tunze's... they claim are 3175gph. Again, no head loss, since they are in the tank just pushin water.

On an open loop, like a sump return, there is head loss! Your statement is only true for closed loops. :)

If the dart is your sump return then your looking at about (very rough) 2800+3100+3100=9000gph

Last edited:
On an open loop, like a sump return, there is head loss! Your statement is only true for closed loops. :)

If the dart is your sump return then your looking at about (very rough) 2800+3100+3100=9000gph

Very true... my bad, was thinking the Dart would be used for a closed loop.

I would hate to imagine Nick has 3600 gph running though his sump!!! That would be insane! What type of overflow will handle that?? :eek: (LOL)

the one im building! :lol:

so your saying a 3175gph would be much better? :lol:

LOL! Yeah:p I run 950gph through mine, but it is not true 950 gph. I have it going through my chiller first and then up to the tank through some plumbing. I love the slower flow through the sump. The skimmer gets a great shot at in-coming water. Also, what the skimmer doesn't catch (detritus), the rest settles on the bottom of my first chamber seeing the flow isn't strong enough to take it straight through the sump and back into the tank so when I do my weekly water changes, I just siphon out the remaining detritus:)

125 Cube- Dolphin 2100 main pump and Gen-x PCX 70 closed loop. So roughly around 2800 after head loss. Tank is mostly LPS and zoo's. A few SPS that tolerate lower flow rates mixed in ( Pavonia and elephant ear ).

260 gal look down- I'm not sure on this one yet. I built the tank four or so months ago and am still tinkering with setting it up. I have a Dolphin 4700 set aside for the closed loop and a Dolphin 3000 for the CTC sump return. ( and to feed the chiller and duel refugiums ) This tank will be a mixed LPS and SPS tank and should end up with about 6000 gal/hr of flow.

I have a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft roughly.
I have one SQ 4200 series which produces 4200gph @4ft head, this is on the CL. Then Lastly I have a SQ Wahoo Uno series pump 15.50gpM @ 32 foot of head, so at "0" roughly 30.0gpM!

Back