Post your tank size and flow numbers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I thought it would be helpful to some members if people could post their tank's size and how much gph flow you have. We talked a bit about flow on another thread and it's importance in a tank, and I figured this thread may be useful to some people in many different ways where flow is concerned. I'll go first:)

38gal cube

3,962 gph of flow - (2) Quiet One 6000 pumps for closed loop ( 1506 gph per pump) and a Mag950 for sump return

Heres mine!
125 gallon mixed reef with about 5,400 gph total.. (mostly from my 3 sieo 1500s)

Matt

27 Gal Cube.

About 1100 GPH from a MAG pump and a small Iwaki closed loop after calculating headloss.

Best,
Ilham

Yeah, I got a 55gal crankin' out a honkin' 350gph from a canister filter at wide open throttle. Talk about white caps! :eek:

120 gallon - flow provided by a Sequence Barracuda via OM 4-way - 4500 gph - that is on the closed loop side

Return system is Sequence Dart - 3600 gph but throttle back to about 2000 gph.

So I have about 6500 gph.

40 gal lps/mixed reef --1000~gph flow

Can you post what type of tank you keep as well? Obviously your target flow is going to be much higher if you have a sps tank vs a softie tank(50x+ vs 15x). This was one of the hardest things for me to understand as a newbie. Comparing flow of a sps tank to a softie tank is like apples to oranges.

I have a 40 gallon tank. I started off with 2 seios 620's + skimmer pump which is about 1350gph. I wanted to keep mostly LPS mixed with a few softies and zoa's. After I placed my second coral in the tank, an open brain, I realized my flow was way too high for these overly fleshy coral. I took out one of the seio's and put in a along the back a mj 1200 and things were much better. Since 40 gallons isnt a lot of space to work with, I put both PH's on the same side of the tank. One pointing towards the front panel and the other pointing at the back corner. This creates a turbid high flow in half my tank and medium to low on the other side. Hopefully this will mean I can find a good spot for just about any coral I want to get.

125 gallon tank

6,640 gallons per hour: Mag 12 (about 800 gph after head loss), Tunze 6100 (3100 gph), Seio 1500 (1500 gph) and 2 Seio 620s (1240 gph).

I will eventually get another Tunze and ditch the Seio's.

140 gallon tank
1800 from a mag 24
800 from closed loop little giant
1600from a tunze 6060
625 from a maxi jet 1200
4600 total 32 x's turnover

mine is about 16.5 x turnover, is that enough?

Depends on what you are keeping and how it is placed. I went snorkeling today for about 2 hours and watching the corals sway and what the water was doing to me makes me think my 100+ turnover is not enough:eek:

Don't feel that way Gabbs...it is supposed to help. Wait and see if Don (DonW) posts. He's got about 10,000 gph in a 110gal:p

i am going to have(try) a mixed reef of just about everything. although, if i see that that need high flow are not getting it, i have the flexible ball-joint tubing so i could just repoint them at the coral.

Back