Powder blue has ick?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pandora32

My wife told me that her powder blue has white spots on it. I went to her office to take a look and the fish was just covered! Eyes, body, gills, everywhere. I setup a hospital tank and transferred the fish. This was 3 days ago. Fish was actually starting to look a little better. About 1/2 hour ago, i looked over at it and its now covered again, breathing hard/fast and swimming upside down. Very lifeless, but still alive. Im doing hypo with the hospital tank. Temp is 78, no amonia nitrites nitrates, ph is 8. The fish is 3" and in a 20g long with an aquaclear 70 for filtration with a foam block from her tank. I read and reread lees qt procedure and have been following it real close. Any thoughts? Should i just freeze the fish? Maybe it was just to sick when she told me about it? It did eat this morning and was swimming around just fine.

I had a clown that was doing similar stuff. Was covered as you stated.
Wasn't swimming upside down tho, but he was very inactive.
Your doing the right thing. Do you have any metronidazole? This is what I used to treat mine. Worke within a week I think.
You mix it with their food every other day.
Also what do you mean by freeze him?
Best of luck. Keep us updated

If i remember right, i recall reading in the forums here that freezing the fish, before it dies, is the humane way to euthinize. The fishes temp drops and the fish goes to "sleep".

I read somewhere that freezing a fish is painful and cruel to the fish. Use clove oil and it truly puts the fish to sleep and the stops the heart, just do a google search on it. I keep a bottle for it just in case. side note, it is the best toothache med that you can get

Well, i wont be freezing any fish i have that wont make it. Thats a good thread to read. I found the powder blue not breathing this morning. Night night powdy.

Yes they are very beautiful fish with a great personality, sorry for your lost. They can be one of the more difficult of the tngs to raise to full size.

I <3 my purple tang. If anything happen I'd be devastated.
I was thinking about setting up a breeder for him and getting a few others but that type of tang ( zebrasom surgenfish ) are very hard to breed in captivity. :(
Next to impossible.
So why waste 500 on fish plus years of waiting and still no baby's. Haha
I ditched the plan :) would be awesome tho

Back