Preventative Coral dips

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

As I get more into SPS and become a bit more discerning about the corals in my tank, I'm starting to think about pest control. I do not have a QT Tank set up that's suitable for corals. I don't foresee being able to set one up in the near future. I realize that a QT tank designed for corals would need to have adequate lighting. That's what's stopping me.
I've never dipped corals or pre-treated anything before adding it to my tank. So far, I've been very lucky!!! I don't want to count on luck anymore though. Soooo, what options do I have for preventative dips? Is there one dip that will protect my tank from the introduction of all or most pests? OR do I need to do different dips to prevent each type of pest?
I also want to make sure that I know what all pests I need to watch for. I've already dealt with Red Planaria and that wasn't really all that bad. I know what to look for there, and how to treat. I don't really get too concerned about Red Bug to be honest.
Then there's the dreaded Red Bug. I have spoke with several vets and found one who will prescribe and sell me Interceptor to have on hand. Is this the only or most effective preventative dip for Red Bugs?
Now on to AEFW. The thought of ever getting them makes me shutter!!! Flatworm Exit right? So do I need to have that on hand to dip Acros before introducing them into my tank?
Monti and Zoanthid eating Nudibranchs?? No idea how to treat...lol.

So do I need to start acting paranoid reefaholic and dipping everything in several different dips? I do examine everything closely before it goes in my tank....but is this enough?? I doubt it...lol.
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated...EXCEPT those telling me to get a QT tank set up for corals....lol. I already know I need to do this, unfortunately, am not going to be able to in the immediate future. Thanks all!!

i would think a mixture of lugols interceptor and maybe some flatworm exit would take care of pretty much everything

LOL As long as I don't end up making a bomb!!!

:lol: no i think it would be fine, i know lugols and flatworm exit work fine together, and i think dang used interceptor and lugols so i think you are fine with them all. but if there was any doubt you could dip interceptor first then go lugols/ flatworm exit

I was impressed with seeing what a quick melafix dip did to the AEFW at the frag swap at Trido's http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=401383&postcount=113
I have started to dip my corals in melafix since then. Seems to kill a lot of stuff. After the dip I poor off most the water and closely examine the remains. I figure if I see something suspicious then I can choose not to add the coral to the tank. I know it is not as good as QT, but since I do not have the lights to QT coral it is better than nothing.

I've been reading about Melafix and Iodine used for red bugs lately with somewhat good results. Wondering if those 2 would be enough and take the place of Flatworm Exit or Interceptor. So, I want to put together a list of stuff I would likely want or need. Here's what I have so far....

Melafix
Iodine (Would the typical iodine found in a drug store work or do I need Lugols?)
Possibly Interceptor
Possibly Flatworm Exit

Anything else??

i was in the middle of a big long response about my experience with lugols and my computer shut down. so i will just say that i am sold on lugols as a coral dip. it has killed zoa eating nudis flatworms pyramid snails and even a few red bugs. the red bugs are back but it still killed some. corals seem to respond very well to the dip it has only been 2 weeks but i have better polyp extension and my red bug infested acro is finaly starting to color up. after lugols i would dip each coral for its specific common pest such as acros need something for red bugs and so on. so i guess i am saying in my opinion lugols is a must before any coral touches the display followed by an interceptor dip for any acro

I am only chiming in here because I was asked.

I only buy my corals from people that I trust. If the people say they have anything besides red bugs, I don't buy. I mix up a heavy batch of interceptor in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and a powerhead and let the corals sit in that for about 2-3 hours. After that, I hold the coral in front of the powerhead briefly, take it out and inspect it with a magnifying glass, and in the tank it goes. Have not had a red bug in the tank since I started this method, and that has been about 2 years.

Now, if folks would refrain from buying wild colonies, and/or buying from vendors that don't have a real good rep............................OOOPPs, I started to ramble.

Charly, thank you. What about buying or trading with fellow hobbyists that may not know that they have something in their tank? I totally agree with you about purchasing from trusted sources, however, even trusted sources can miss things. I'm just thinking about a preventative dip to add an extra layer of protection. I've yet to run into any pests, other than a case of plenarea and that was nothing serious. Maybe I'm just being paranoid...lol. Probably because I've read a few stories about bad pests lately.

"sharing" them with others unknowingly.
I do think it's very honorable to let others know, IF you know. Fortunately, most, if not all hobbyists I know are honorable. However, I've known some who found out about pests AFTER having already traded a lot of frags with others.

However, I didn't start this thread to get into or cause any type of debate about ethics, hobbyists ability to identify problems before hand or for any other reason than to get some advice and suggestions on preventative dips, to prevent a "worst case scenario" from happening. It does seem that some of these pests are becoming much more prevalent recently. IMO, this is due to people not being well enough informed about them. Because people aren't informed, they're trading frags and, unknowingly spreading the problem. I've been trying to educate myself on them lately, so I don't become part of the problem. At the same time, I want to be prepared to do all I can do to prevent the problem. For instance, Charlie's interceptor bath, great idea!! That definitely helps prevent the spread of red bug.

As I'm also starting to get more interested in Zoanthids, I'm really wanting to learn all I can to protect my tank from Zoanthid eating Nudis and to prevent spreading them to others.

I find this to be a interesting topic. I will not be able to set up a QT tank because of lighting for coral and I think a preventive move before I add any corals to the tank sounds like a good one. I am going to have to do more research :)

In the interim I've also found that a simple freshwater dip works well if you don't have any of the "drugs" on hand - I've pulled flatworms off of corals that way pretty easily...

Luckily out here in Spokane we don't have the pest population like they've got elsewhere due to the small market - but we do deal with a lot of uneducated hobbyists......

i am telling you that a strong lugols dip will kill just about anything except for red bugs. so i also do interceptor for acros and problem is solved. i would also lke to say that i think it is much safer to assume all corals are infested with pests and dip them all than to assume you got them from a safe source and infect your whole tank

I was just skimming through this entire thread once again and came across something that hit me. Charlie mentioned using a magnifying glass to examine his corals closely. WOW. I can't believe I've never thought of that. When I used to breed FW fish, I sometimes used a microscope to id certain diseases or parasites in fish. Of all the high tech equipment some reefers spend money on for their tanks and with all the knowledge out there about so many things related to reef tanks, I wonder how many of us have a simple magnifying glass as part of their "reef tools?" I know I don't. That will be remedied very quickly!! Thanks Charlie!!!

i would also lke to say that i think it is much safer to assume all corals are infested with pests and dip them all than to assume you got them from a safe source and infect your whole tank

Shannon and Lisa, I totally agree!! Look how much stress is always put on QT for our tanks. You read everywhere that QT is so important, no matter what the source is. I truly wish I was able to set up a Coral QT tank, and the more I've been reading up on it, the more I'm learning about using a small tank with even PC lighting and corals very near the surface. Maybe that'll be my next subject to start a thread on...lol. But until then, prevention BEFORE adding corals to the display is the key. Much safer to dip EVERYTHING than treat an entire reef tank. Hence this thread.

i am telling you that a strong lugols dip will kill just about anything

Another tool I'll be adding to my collection soon. I did ask earlier and didn't really get a response. Is it only Lugols that works? What about iodine from any drug store? What's the make up of Lugols that's so special?

Back