Pro V food for Regal Angel?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

really?

where? I am not able to find any online vendors that sell it.

thanks
kirk

i just googled it..here is the first in the list:

http://www.bio-aquatics.com/frozen4.html

i also know that my local fish store sells it too, so try calling up your local stores too to see if they carry it. I only use three of their products though: the angel formula, the pro v, and the seaworms supreme.

Last edited:
saw this, but didnt think this was it, as it just selling frozen silverslides..

the angel formula and the pro v sounds what I want..

Hey Lee,

Just a quick update.

The Regal Angel has been in my care for a little over a year now and has recently decided it likes Nori and flake foods. I'm assuming this is largely in part due to the tangs going completely gonzo over the Nori almost daily and the Regal just following along with the "cool" kids.

I feed it raw shrimp or scallop pieces torn up small enough for it eat, followed by a piece of Nori attached to a clip. I will feed flake food once a week or so as well as a mixture of mysis, mysid, Rods Food,Squid, and Spirulina enriched brine shrimp, just to maintain its recognition of those items as food.

Its been awhile since I've tried blanched broccoli, but the last time the response was about like me being fed liver......But it also didnt touch Nori last time I tried broccoli either.

I noticed that about the 1 year mark, my last Regal became much more aggressive towards eating and more willing to eat different things, as long as the other fish in the tank were eating it too.

Is it safe to assume the fish is getting more acclimated to my system?

Nick

Basically, YES! It seems like the fish is nicely settling in to captive life. This fish is one of the less than about 2% of the captured fishes in the hobby.

Lee, I attribute the fishes success largely to what I've been able to learn from you here in terms of feeding nutritionally, QT procedures and appropriate responses to possible diseases ....

Regal11.jpg

Regal21.jpg

Thank you Lee.

Nick

Kind of you to say so, Nick. Thanks. The fish looks really good. It's worth the effort (IMHO).

If I could just get her interested in eating bubble algae....

Seriously though....until you started sharing your knowledge here, I viewed QT as treatment only, not necessarily a QT/Holding system with the intent of not only preventing disease, but acclimating the fish to captivity and getting adjusted to eating prepared foods.

So thanks again, dont know how often you hear of the success stories, but here is a short term one. Hopefully in 5 years I can give you a long term update on my success with the fish.

Nick

Thanks again, Nick. I don't hear much follow up. I think in reality people just don't want to make such an effort for 'a fish.' But unlike cats, dogs, and most freshwater fishes, marine ornamental fishes are for the most part, wild animals. I am glad to be of service! :D

Csabba,
I see three fish in that picture that are notorious for starving in the home aqaurium, and not one I would normally consider keeping with a puffer! Great job!

Lee, how long can I reasonably expect this fish to live in my system, barring outbreak of disease or some other disaster? Whats the longest you've kept a fish, and what was/is it?

Nick

Add the the potter angel to that list too ;-)

Im trying my best. The Idol has doubled in size in less then a year, the copperband and regal are also growing at a fast rate so hopefully their nutritional needs are being met.

The puffer is a panda puffer and he is the most gentle and friendly puffer ever. Does not rush at food, does not bother anyone, completely opposite of my porcupine puffer who is in a tank by himself.

P.S. I think Lee has fish older then some of the members on this board!

Last edited:
Nick,

Fish age is a bit of a challenge. We can tell when their sexual organs mature about the age we expect them to be, but the process is necropsy and that stops their growth! :eek: There are operations to determine the gender too, but they are stressful, you can imagine, to owner and fish. :D

You'd need a handle on how old the fish was, when you acquired it, is the point to the above rambling. From that point you could expect some to live until about 15 years old (or older) for fishes kept in a 300+ gallon display. Lower in smaller tanks.

The Tomato Anemonefish is the winner in the time contest. Don't know how old it was when acquired, but it has been in captivity now for about 20 years coming this Spring.

Others vary depending upon how much attention the owner gives to details. Some others have been in captivity for up to 12 years. Few make it that long, though. Most owners think of them as 'only fish' and basically not interested in them living at home when their own children have children.

'Disaster' as you say, takes its toll too.

Back