Probably Shouldn't Have Done This.............

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lbrewer34

So, like the title says, probably shouldn't have done this, but I saw a beautiful Mandarin Goby in my LFS yesterday and picked him up. The owner didn't want to sell him because he hasn't really eaten since he got him, and he was pretty skinny to begin with. By the looks of him he only had a few days maybe a week left before he starved, so I went ahead and got him hoping he will feed in my tank. He's been hiding since last night but I'll post a pic if he comes out. Any feeding suggestions? Right now I'm feeding Rods Foods and here are the tank specs:

65g display
20g sump
about 70lbs live rock
tank established about 6 months
parameters normal (i can post specifics if it helps)

Thanks,

Lee

You're absolutely right. Probably shouldn't have done that. The best way to "train" a mandarin to eat prepared foods, is in a QT tank. However, a lot of times, they just WON'T eat prepared foods.

Rescuing fish only furthers the problem. Allowing fish to die, in an LFS tank, hurts their wallet, not yours. If a fish dies, in our tank, the LFS orders another, to replace the one you purchased. If enough fish die, in the LFS tank, maybe the LFS will realize that they shouldn't be ordering so many fish, or fish that are difficult to care for.

Do you have a refugium? Have you gotten any live rock from established tanks? If so, it is possible that you will have pods breeding in the tank that will support him. You can also go to the local SALTWATER fish store that has reef pods or tigar pods and stock the tank. He may have a chance. Good luck with him.

You're absolutely right. Probably shouldn't have done that. The best way to "train" a mandarin to eat prepared foods, is in a QT tank. However, a lot of times, they just WON'T eat prepared foods.

Rescuing fish only furthers the problem. Allowing fish to die, in an LFS tank, hurts their wallet, not yours. If a fish dies, in our tank, the LFS orders another, to replace the one you purchased. If enough fish die, in the LFS tank, maybe the LFS will realize that they shouldn't be ordering so many fish, or fish that are difficult to care for.

The LFS here doesn't normally carry mandarins, I think he bought it for a customer who didn't pick it up. He didn't want to sell him to me, and because he is so skinny, but I thought he would have a better chance in my tank than there.

Do you have a refugium? Have you gotten any live rock from established tanks? If so, it is possible that you will have pods breeding in the tank that will support him. You can also go to the local SALTWATER fish store that has reef pods or tigar pods and stock the tank. He may have a chance. Good luck with him.

I have a sump, but only about 15 lbs of live rock, and no sand. I'll see if BR sells pods.

I have a sump, but only about 15 lbs of live rock, and no sand. I'll see if BR sells pods.

They usually have them. put half in the sump and half in the tank. Do you have any macro algae in the sump? You can get some of that at BR too if not. And phytoplankton to feed the pods to keep them breeding.

Once the madarin gets really skinny, I have found there is no turning back. I have had two for over a year, but I knew that I had to have mass copepods to start out with. Along the way both mandarins started eating the food (meaty foods) that was floating along the bottom that the other fish had missed, but that takes time to happen and there is no guarantee.

I have tried to "save" others that I saw in the stores with mass macro algae, live rock, even ordering copepods on line, but the best thing really is an established tank that is at least 30 gallons to start with.

I kept trying to save the skinny ones until it finally sunk in and I accepted defeat.

I don't want to say that you can't save this fish but there are several factors that say you won't be able to. First, the fish is apparently already in distress and on the verge of starvation. Second, at 6 months your tank isn't mature enough to support a healthy population of pods and even with a starter population seeded in the tank it will take time before they begin to multiply. Finally, and I'm not trying to be a dick, you're ignorant in the care of this somewhat difficult to keep species. Frankly, if I were you I'd try to find a local reefer that can take the fish in and nurture it while you seed your tank with pods and establish a healthy environment for that fish.

Good luck,
Mike

Since it is what it is, it seems you need to find WHAT it might eat or find interest to eat. So IMHO you could purchase some Copepods Some Petcos carry the 300-400 per bag for 14.99 (do some calling around. You could purchase some Trigger Copepods from the LFS for say $20-25 (should be $20 plus tax Live Nutrition bottles carry 2000-4000 Live Copepods (do the math). This could well be a some what Win-Win (some what) if he eats them then your heading in the right direction, if he doesnt then you have began the Copepod breeding that will (as your tank establishes) will grow for the next Manderin if this one (hopefully won't) die. Also have a small turkey baster that you could release small amounts of foods (diffrent types) and see if something catches hie eye, but make sure it's a little and that you keep that area clean to keep your numbers down. That's my suggestion.

Dtech07

I don't want to say that you can't save this fish but there are several factors that say you won't be able to. First, the fish is apparently already in distress and on the verge of starvation. Second, at 6 months your tank isn't mature enough to support a healthy population of pods and even with a starter population seeded in the tank it will take time before they begin to multiply. Finally, and I'm not trying to be a dick, you're ignorant in the care of this somewhat difficult to keep species. Frankly, if I were you I'd try to find a local reefer that can take the fish in and nurture it while you seed your tank with pods and establish a healthy environment for that fish.

Good luck,
Mike

I've usually needed to learn things the hard way, working on patience is one of the big reasons why I got in to the hobby. If he dies he dies, I only paid 10 dollars for him. We'll see but I'm staying optimistic, and if it goes south maybe another new reefer will learn from my mistake. I would object to my being ignorant, I do know how difficult care for these fish are and didn't buy him because he was a "pretty fish", I just hated seeing a suffering fish, and hoped I could give him a better chance.

Since it is what it is, it seems you need to find WHAT it might eat or find interest to eat. So IMHO you could purchase some Copepods Some Petcos carry the 300-400 per bag for 14.99 (do some calling around. You could purchase some Trigger Copepods from the LFS for say $20-25 (should be $20 plus tax Live Nutrition bottles carry 2000-4000 Live Copepods (do the math). This could well be a some what Win-Win (some what) if he eats them then your heading in the right direction, if he doesnt then you have began the Copepod breeding that will (as your tank establishes) will grow for the next Manderin if this one (hopefully won't) die. Also have a small turkey baster that you could release small amounts of foods (diffrent types) and see if something catches hie eye, but make sure it's a little and that you keep that area clean to keep your numbers down. That's my suggestion.

Dtech07
He's been picking around a bit, I overfed a bit this morning, I'll try the turkey baster suggestion. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on my nitrates as I'll probably overfeed until I pick up some pods tomorrow. I might try petco tonight, I didn't think they would carry any.

I got mine to eat from a turkey baster. He loves prawn roe and mysis shrimp. I just have to keep my Potters angel away long enough so he can eat it up.

I got mine to eat from a turkey baster. He loves prawn roe and mysis shrimp. I just have to keep my Potters angel away long enough so he can eat it up.

Just did a feeding and tried the turkey baster, he's hiding behind the live rock but i managed to get some food his way. He's been picking at the sand and live rock but I can't tell if he's picking at the frozen food.

I got my fingers crossed for ya. The odds are stacked against you but you never know. I wish you the best and hope it makes it.

Ya the Angel fish are little pigletts, always taking the for out the mouth of the Corals but beeter than nippin on the corals :)

The Copapods also live in the Substrate so he migh be eating them, but good that it's pickin (Good Sign:razz:). Raising your Pod count won't hurt at all.

Dtech7

So, day three of this guy being in my tank and he seems to be more active. He is still pecking at the liverock, but really hasn't come out from behind the live rock. Im picking up some pods from BR today and ill try pushing some pods his way with the turkey baster. If he makes it it'll be an interesting challenge to try and ween him onto frozen food.
Thanks for the advice all, and I'll keep updating my progress every foe days or so.

Back