Problem with new sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kensn

Ok I got this beautiful new sump today. First off all it didn't cost me a dime, and was made to a drawing I made. It is made from 3/8" acrylic, I asked for 1/4" but they wanted to do it in 3/8". It turned out great...except, during my leak test I found on 3 out of the 4 baffles, they left a gap of 1/16" between the baffle and side wall!! Kind of lets the water just flow around the baffle. Need less to say they weren't used to building things of this nature, and I mentioned it was free. So do I just get some small acrylic square rod and adhere it to the side and baffle in the corners. I don't think I want to fill it with just glue.

Anyone have some small square acrylic rod for sale, 1/4 square or so.

Anywhere in the south end to find acrylic square rod, I see tap has it, but looking for someone closer.

Man I just couldn't believe it.:lol:

Last edited:
:lol: ..oh geezeee... Wait till I get a serious reply before killing this thread Steve...:rolleyes:

I got all excited to see a response too...

Last edited:
*just sits and shakes head back and forth*

Glass shops have square acrylic rod.... Ok I'll check....*thinking it sounds like a wild goose chase*

They do up here because quite often they work in plexiglass as well. I know that I have had them do acrylic shields for lights before when mine have warped because of heat.

Ok thanks I will check it out.

Am I on the right track for the repair?

Here is a pic the red marks are where the gaps are between the baffles and the side walls.
gaps.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like the right track to me. Really if you can find any abs plastic or plexiglass about 1/4 of an inch thick by whatever width, you can rip it with a saw and make your own square rods. That's what I had done with my sump. There was a piece of plexi like 24 by 20 or so left over, so I had him rip it at a quarter inch on the table saw and made my own square rods. It helps with durability also.

Yea I could rip some I have, but what a pita. It looks so nice, I want it to look good after repair. Easier for me to just buy a rod and cut it, and it will look better then the cuts I can make on acrylic....:oops:

Well, if you have something you can use for making the rods and don't have a saw with a guide (like a table saw) maybe someone with one can cut it for you...That may be a goose chase though (LOL). I will think a little more about a solution...

You said you didn't want to use glue...Does that mean you don't want to use clear non-toxic silicone either?

No, I never said I didn't want to use glue... I want to use weldon and glue the acrylic rod into the corners where the gaps are. I don't think silicone sticks really well to acrylic.

Jidz is up, must be night time. Yeah Ken what you have will look the best and work the best as far as I can tell. LOL Sorry about the cheese comment. Its my answer for everything. Easy cheese, superglue, or a tazer. Its like a evil McGuyver.

Hey Ken, Jiddy just made me realize something...This is YOUR thread and it's payback time for all of the hijacking you did on mine! Maybe you can cut your pretty pink bracelet and shove it in the cracks in your sump! LOL

LOl...Bring it on boys...Its open for all suggestions now...

Steve never say your sorry for making me laugh......

I'd would use the bracelet, but Jiddy hounded me to send it to him!!

Last edited:
Ok Ken, I have lots 'o scraps, i will cut you some squares, all you have to do is drive down here and pick them up tomorrow. And don't worry about how it looks, it is a sump!

Ok Tom, pm me an address and time. I have someone coming to my place around 3pm though. It's no problem for me to pick up a rod though, there cheap. I think your place is closer though, but then we could talk about PLCs.

Back