Project Frag 20L

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spllbnd2

Once again here I am with yet another empty tank. Hmmm... Guess I am going to have to do something about that.

I decided to go over kill and make my own stand to get some practice before venturing into making a stand for the 65H display tank. This is probably really only my 3rd or 4th wood working project ever. So please keep this in mind as I know it isn't perfect, but darn close. *lol*

Current vision for the tank:

20 long AGA Back painted Black
DIY Stand (Birch Ply and 2x3 frame)
T5HO Lighting 4x24W (possible change later)
CPR Aquafuge PS (Skimmer and Fuge all in one unit) running with a modified MJ1200
Flow will be 2 Hydor Koralia nanos with additional flow added in the near future

Cheers,
Alex

First photos of the backbone of this stand. Frame was made out of SPF 2x3 lumber purchased from Lowes in Lynnwood. Oh and yes I know I probably should've put those pocket hole screws on the inside. *lol* First mistake I guess.

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

I decided that I wanted to put power into the stand instead of just using power strips I decided to use a GFI circuit and incorporate outlets into the stand at either end.

Probably make more sense as I progress with the photos. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

Wow! That is a very nice looking build. It looks very, very sturdy.

The built in electrical outlets are a very nice touch.

Gary

Thanks Gary. Yes I really am going to like having outlets versus those powerstrips. I figured why not cause that is how I want to do the power in my 65 stand. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

Here are some more photos of the progress thus far.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0599.jpg

Made a bunch of strips out of the 4'x8' sheet of birch ply.
IMG_0634.jpg

Some test fitting before the actual cuts.
IMG_0648.jpg

Here is the blade that I used for all the cuts in my wood and pvc piping. It is a very nice blade that has giiven me a very clean cut time and time again. It also has a nice thin kerf so I am not wasting a bunch of material on cuts.*lol*

IMG_0633.jpg

I also decided to use some special paint that I had on hand to paint some plain white outlets. *lol* Just couldn't leave well enough alone there.

IMG_0680.jpg

And one of my outlets I did this last winter.
IMG_0681.jpg

I used a vynil spray to paint the outlet. Once it is fully cured it is part of the plastic and will not flake or peel off like ordinary paints.The Fusion paint and the Plasti dip paints are what I used on the back of the tank.
IMG_0682.jpg

Test fitting the back onto the stand frame. When designing my skins for the stand I wanted to be sure and cover black plastic rim around the tank. You can see in the second photo how good this truned out on the back. Now if only the rest is this good.You can also see what a good job that Plasti Dip paint works with the Krylon paint (cudos to G&N for the advice on that).

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

And a photo during the skinning process. Very tedious work as I was trying to match up the grain patterns and get everything nice and snug before gluing and nailing.

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

holy cow looks like a torture chamber with all those tools protruding out j/k. Nice work ;D wish i had the tools and the know how :< im seriously jealous

holy cow looks like a torture chamber with all those tools protruding out j/k. Nice work ;D wish i had the tools and the know how :< im seriously jealous

Thanks for the compliments, But trust me when I say this is really only my 3 or 4th wood working poject. *lol* Not really perfect but it should do the job just fine. *lol* Getting better with every project and getting nagged at by the wife with every new project too. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

And here is the main portion of the stand all skinned up. Now it is time for some recessed panel work and trim.

IMG_0668.jpg

Here is the stand with the molding test fit into place before glue up and nailed. And then who is this guy? The master craftsman himself? *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

Back