Project Frag 20L

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

if you come up with a good t5ho hood let me know i might have u make one to match my stand .... its verry similar to the one you just made my trim is a bit different i could send pictures if you needed them

if you come up with a good t5ho hood let me know i might have u make one to match my stand .... its verry similar to the one you just made my trim is a bit different i could send pictures if you needed them

Shall do. I am keeping the hood simple this time around, simple design that I have sketched up thus far is a simple hood that will have a suspended look to it so that it is easier for me to get into the tank for frags.

I did sketch up a hood design for non suspended as well. I'll scan it later and post it here.

very nice job. I love the rosewood color. what did you use for a clear coat?

Tom

Thank you Tom. I've inlcuded a photo of the products used for this build. They are as follows,

Minwax Pre stain water based
Minwax Rosewood stain water based
Daly's Profin satin oil based clear protecting finish
Daly's SatinThane oil based urethane finish

And yes I know that I mixed a water based stain with an oil based finish. I did numerous test panels before deciding that it was a okay and no problems arose during testing. I usually always use Daly's finishes but I found that Minwax rosewood was the color I was after on this project. Glad I picked it too as I really love the warm feel of the wood, much better in person too. *lol*
Second photo is of the Profin and Satinthane finish on my workbench top in maple.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0786.jpg

Topofworkbench.jpg

good to know. I've been debating on going with a black paint/poly coating or with a rose/cherry stain with a poly coating on my next project. After seeing yours its really making me want the stain allot more. Nice job on the "workbench" lol thats nicer then allot of furniture i've seen!

Tom

I forgot to mention that I have found that I get a super glass smooth finish when I do the following,

1. Apply stain (if you're going to)
2. First coat of Profin
3. Wetsand with 400 grit sandpaper (wesco autobody has great prices)
4. Second coat of Profin
5. Wetsand again with 400
6. Third coat of Profin
7. Wetsand with 600 grit
9. First coat of Satinthane
10. Wetsand 400 grit
11. Second coat of Satinthane
12. Wetsand with 600
13. Third coat of Satinthane

Yes there are a lot of steps but if you feel my workbench top and this stand you will see it is all well worth the time and effort or should I say elbow grease. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

Yes, workbench was my first project and I love it. Wax it twice a year with Johnson wax. And to this day it has held up to a lot of beatings and still looks great.

good to know. I've been debating on going with a black paint/poly coating or with a rose/cherry stain with a poly coating on my next project. After seeing yours its really making me want the stain allot more. Nice job on the "workbench" lol thats nicer then allot of furniture i've seen!

Tom

If you do a poly I would HIGHLY recommend the Daly's products. You can pick them up at Dunn Lumber too. Well worth the little extra. I think I paid $18.00 for a quart sized from Dunn.

Glass like finish even before buffing the finish to a mirror like shine. :D And this is after about 16 hours of work just on the finish.
I'll post another photo after I buff the finish tomorrow.

IMG_0787.jpg

Last edited:
wow, that's actually quite a bit cheaper then I expected. Do you have to wax the wood if you use that poly coating?

Tom

You don't really have to, but it is wise to do a couple of coats of wax just for a little extra protection. You can pick up the Johnson wax at Home Depot in their cleaning supply section.

Here is another photo after I've put a couple of coats of Johnson wax on and buffed. As smooth as a baby's bottom. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0789.jpg

Last edited:
Stand is complete!!! Whahoo... Filled with water and getting everything ready today. Next up will be making a nice canopy to match. Hopeful that it will turn out just as good. :)

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0797.jpg

again, great job Alex. I really love the color in the sunlight. Are you going to build a door for it?

Tom

Thanks Tom. At the moment I do not plan on putting a door on it because I will have a 2.5 gallon tank on the lower shelf for my sun corals and dendro corals. That way it shall be easier to feed them without hermits and fish in the tank. *lol*

I do have plans on building a door(s) after I build the canopy, but I still probably will not mount them on the stand. Figure that way there are doors with the stand if I ever decide to sell this. :D

Cheers,
Alex

Received my T5HO light set up today. I think I may just have to test fire them tomorrow. I never realized how tiny these bulbs really are. *lol*

IMG_0819.jpg

Oh yeah, Almost forgot. I just had to start the tank going today. *lol* I am using a Coralife 2x96W 36" fixture until I get my T5's into a canopy. Hoping for that next week (time permitting). :D Have to keep the wife happy and do around the house stuff too. *lol*

Tank now has sand and 5 frags in it since I took this photo this morning. Still awaiting a couple of o-rings for my Aquafuge PS and then I'll get that up and running.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0811.jpg

Next you have to get that MX 400 flying:p I couldn't resist after seeing it in the pic of your desk. The tank and stand looks sweeeet!!

Back