Project Frag 20L

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Holy cow. You work fast and its looking very nice.

Thanks. Actually it seems like it's taking for ever to me. *lol* Of course it doesn't help matters when you go to the home improvment store and pick up the wrong molding and have to go right back. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

looks great, what color stain are you going to use?

Thank you, I am going to go with a rosewood stain. I'll get some photos of the test pieces up tonight or tomorrow. I've been testing today with the stain as well as the trim work on the stand.

Cheers,
Alex

Here is the stained test piece thus far. That is one coat of stain on the wood and let in soak for about 3 minutes. I plan on putting a clear satin finish over the stain as a final coating and to protect the finish from water.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

Finished up the trim work this morning. Now it is on to final inspection and final touch ups before the stain goes on. :Cheese

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0701.jpg

Here is the final fitment with tank installed. Finally done with filling nail holes and touching any little ding up and getting everything just right. *lol* Now it is on to staining tomorrow and work on the bottom shelf too.

IMG_0703.jpg

Great start!,..LOVE the Eddie Van Halen socket cover,..lol.

Thanks Dave. Yes I love the EVH cover too. *lol* I actually did that as a test before painting an XBOX 360 Faceplate with the EVH colors.

Cheers,
Alex

And the first panels are complete. Actually these are just the inside of the recessed panels. Getting excited gotta go finish. *lol*

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

Well I guess my stainable wood filler is not very good at accepting stain. Guess I should've tested that before finishing the actual stand. I shall be sanding the front down and restarting the stain process on the front again in hopes it will turn out better the second time.
This is my first time attempting to stain anything so I am not suprised it turned out looking like it does on the front.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

Very nice. Are you going to water proof the inside or just leave it bare. The recessed panels was an awesome idea.So are you going to go with a single front door or a double. Can't wait to see. Looks awesome though. Oh and hey I went to home depot to get some clamps and they said that you took them all. Think you have enough.

Very nice. Are you going to water proof the inside or just leave it bare. The recessed panels was an awesome idea.So are you going to go with a single front door or a double. Can't wait to see. Looks awesome though. Oh and hey I went to home depot to get some clamps and they said that you took them all. Think you have enough.

Yes, I plan on water proofing the entire stand. My plan right now is to install a botton shelf and install a middle shelf. No doors at the moment are planned. I might decide later on to add them and if I do I would probably have 2 doors. I did make a removable center brace but did not install.

*lol* HD out of clamps? Guess I'll have to wait to get any more.

Easy learning curve. *lol* I always learn from my mistakes. I have finessed the finish. Took about an hour, well okay that did include B.S. with the neighbor too. *lol*

Will let the stand dry overnight before applying the top coat. At least I did test the top coat on a scrape piece. :D

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

So true indeed, Don. I know now why they say that in all the books or magazine articles that I've ever read on woodworking. :D

I did forget that I guess this is probably my 6th project out of wood. *lol*

1st was workbench, 2nd toolbox stand, 3rd shelf brackets, 4th router table stand, 5th wood scrap caddy.

Seem to get better with every new project. *lol* Now if only I can come up with a nice designed T5HO hood for this thing. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

Here are some more photos, first one is of the shelf support for the lower shelf and second one is after putting the first coat of clear over the stain. *wowza* Getting so so close now. *lol*

I'll be ordering my light set up on Sunday.

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

Back