Propogation of A fenestrafer (elephant ear)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wrighty

Hi guys
Just wondering if the above coral or corallimorph can be propogated in teh same way as smaller shroom types?

Or is there a better way of fragging this species?
My Fenertrafer has reached about 20cm OD when fully expanded and I am now consciuos that it is out growing its placement in my reef -

Steve

they are rather hardy like most all corallimorphs.

If these are well-established (in your tank and well-fed for over 6 months) and water quality is on par... then you can usually just cut right throught them (ideally through a mouth).

Or... if you want to be conservative, you can simply make a radial cut (from a mouth outward) and provide (very) good water flow in wait for the animal to finish the split (fission).

kindly, Anthony :)

Thank you Anthony - tanks set up 2.5 years - Am - 0 Nit- 0 Nitrate- less than 5ppm (salifert) PH 8.39 (IKS) - SG 1.024, KH 9 , PO4 - 0 (Rhowphos) - CA 4OO ppm

Can they be quartered though the central mouth so I end up with 4 specimens?
or is it best just to divide by 2?

The method I was considering would be
divide by 4 - rinse in tank water then dad on tissue to remove teh gunge exctreted (sorry not sure of technical term)
place in plastic tube with medium sized rock fragments in at the base of reef (was considering banding but feel they shoudl just attach if placed carefully with limited flow)
allow the 4 divisions to attach to the rocks (about 2 weeks?)
then place the rocks with new frags back into that or another reef

Does the above sound a workable method?

Steve

quartering: it certainly can work (and often does with hardier specimens), but it really would be much safer to just do a single bilateral cut, if not just a radial cut.

FWIW... if it were my coral, I'd do just that: a single cut in half (through a mouth)

Thank you again - Ok 2 halves it is

should I still leave in main tank or would they be best protected a little from main flow using the plastic sandwhich tub idea

Do I need to remove it from its base rock to cut it or could I cut it using a scalpel while still on its rock and allow the 2 ears to grow on same rock?

Thanks for your help
Steve

avoid moving propagated corals before, during, or recently after cutting... it's too stressful and reduces chances of success. Maintain good water flow too. Lateral or downward (darker) moves are tolerable though in the same system.

Thank you again Anthony

OK I will cut through this weekend while it is in tank same location and not move either peice until full healing has been achieved

Steve

Hi Anthony - last night whilst ear was almost fully closed I made a single cut towards centre mouth using sharp scissors - Today the ear has again fully opened and I notice the cut I made stops 2- 3 cm short of where I had thought - Its about 2 - 3cm short of teh mouth

will it still be able to complete the split itself despite fact the cut is not into mouth
should I finish of the cut to the mouth

Steve
It is in good shape - fully exanded today looking none the worse for its ordeal

yep... no worries at all :) This is likely to be more than enough to spur a fissionary split. Worst case scenario is that it will heal.

Have patience my friend :)

Back