protein skimmer won't perform

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

syddakyd

ok at my girls house she has a 20g high tank with just a valentini puffer and lawnmower blenny. there is an urchin (pincushin maybe) and a turbo snail and about 10 native hermit crabs to new york and one "giant" hermit crab from store.

the skimmer is a sea clone 150 i think its rated for a 100g tank. i also have an emepror 400 in there which is rated for about 75g i think.

the skimmer makes absolutely no foam no matter how much i adjust the level of air in the intake. i pulled it apart and re-assembled it and it still dosen't work.

is it because the tank is understocked and over filtrated? is it because the sea clone is known to be a POS (which i didn't know until after i bought it)?, or is it because the filter competes with it lol.

i also want advice for a good Hang on Back skimmer for my 55g i just set up.

thank you:D

The sea clones never really work well... for me they never worked atleast... I would reccomend getting a better skimmer.

-Josh-:cool:

tanks been set up roughly 5 months skimmer has been there for 4.

air bubles run through the intake tube but there is no bubbles in the collection cup or overflow or anything

I'm assuming you've tried adjusting the air valve on the end of the hose? Sounds like maybe you have to much bubbles and not enough water flow. In the intake tube is there a bubble in the top bend? IME you need to adjust the air valve just enough to remove the air bubble. This is usually around 3/4 of turn out from all the way in for me.

Here's a link to the Manual:
http://www.marineland.com/products/manuals/SeaClone_manual.pdf

Hope that Helps.
FYI: I have a Sea Clown also. It's on a QT and was bought before I knew better, But if you can get it get adjusted it does a okay job.

I tried just about every mod out there when I bought a Seaclone way back when. The only satisfaction I got out of it was tossing it against a wall. Bite the bullet and buy a different skimmer model or if possible return it if it's still possible. They will work, just very very poorly.

As far as the 100 gal tank rating, complete bunk. It wouldn't support more than about 15-20 gal tank if that.

Cheers
Steve

I've been around here on the forum for a while and can't say I've ever heard one good thing about seaclone skimmers. I can almost guarantee if you change it out for another brand, you will get skimmate (just not a prizm because I've never heard anything good about them either):)

wait so i have to adjust the airflow so that there is no bubbles running through the tube whatsoever????nothing but clear water?

damn thats really stupid of me then i guess i misread.

wait so i have to adjust the airflow so that there is no bubbles running through the tube whatsoever????nothing but clear water?

damn thats really stupid of me then i guess i misread.

NO,NO.. You need bubbes in the tube.. If the water flow isn't high enough you'll get a big air bubble in the top of the J tube. (the bend over side of Tank). Try to adjust the air valve to point where there is no bubble.

Back