Pulsing Xenia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cavyroo

BAM! BAM! Goes the blenny
Curious for those who have this.
Do you add your iodine for them once a week or more?

I did do once every other day for mine..and they seemed to like it lots.
Then I got the Lugols..and just been doing once a week..and they dont pulse much..if any...anymore.

Misty

i have some pulxing xenia and i have never added anything and they are pulsing and growing really fast :) i have some growing on my glass even.

are you testing the iodine/iodide levels in your tank? Lugols I belive is pretty concentrated, and you don't want to excede 0.06ppm iodine in the water...you may have too much in there...I'd get a test kit and check the levels, and stop adding it until you can test for it...

MikeS

I am out to pick on up today :) I have all the test kits but that one..SO..I will do that! Thanks.
Misty

Yeah, you have to be careful with iodine/iodide...even though it is easily removed via skimming and carbon, it is also usually constantly introduced by feeding. It's pretty easy to overdose on iodine.

On a side note with the xenia stopping the pulse, what is your pH?

MikeS

My ph is 8.0 as of today..so when I did my water change..I increased it to 8.2...and I couldnt find the test kit for iodine..thought I had one at the store..have to order it...So I will not add more till i get that kit.

I have done that Tony..but mine at home..say..BLEH on you..and seem like they want more..when I did it more..but I am going to test and see what that says.
LOL
Darn critters! lol

cavyroo said:
My ph is 8.0 as of today..so when I did my water change..I increased it to 8.2...and I couldnt find the test kit for iodine..thought I had one at the store..have to order it...So I will not add more till i get that kit.

Xenia seem to like higher pH levels, 8.3-8.4....shoot for that...and test that iodine level...:D

MikeS

Half my tank is Xenia that I started from a single stalk about 6-7 months ago. The only thing I've ever done to replentish iodine is semi-regular water changes (20%/month or so).

Unless you have a test kit, I'd reccomend just that. Mine pulses like crazy and is growing up the sides of my tank. (Not to mention suicidally growing up my overflow and getting killed when it gets sucked over by the current)

-Dylan

I've got some red sea xenia which i bought as a tiny little frag of about 30polyps. Three and half months later and i must have a thousand or so :eek:
They grow like crazy yet i don't put any iodine in or supplements just change the water (15-20% about every 2-3 weeks)

Misty,
I add idodine 2 times weekly (2.5ml) 75gal. volume.
0 nitrate, 0 phosphate, 8.1-8.3 PH 76F-78F 1.026 salinity
Xenia doing well.

Tom C

Attachments

• Xenia.jpg
    Xenia.jpg
    53 KB
I add very small doses of iodine daily. But I am more focussed on maintainng high ALK (over 10dKH) and high pH (never under 8.3) for my Xeniids

from my understanding they pump more when they are not in any water movement my have grown rapidly to the spray bar on the upper part of my tank and hardly pump at all yet the lower ones pump rapidly and all i give them is c- balance 1 cap full each part a and b a day

Back