Pump comparison?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

danno14

That's Dumas!
Does anyone know of a location that I may find an unbiased pump comparison? Reefs.org did one a few years ago with most of what I am looking for....

http://reefs.org/library/pumps/

Flow, Power consumption, longevity, noise level are important, in that order.

Reeflo, Sequence, Ampmaster-

Large pumps only need apply :D
Thx

Last edited:
That is a little outdated already, I think you'll get a mixed review on almost all pumps, this isn't an easy answer. Bad thing you get most of the posted data from the manufacturer but that doesn't always help, I sorta regret the big pump I have now, I could of gotten away with a smaller one for sure!

I agree with Scooty. I don't care too much for hearing reviews about pumps and I've never seen an un-biased comparison chart anywhere. The best I've ever gotten was reading what people think of pumps here (which can be biased) and drawing my own conclusion or just trying them out for myself.

In any event, hopefully someone will chime in with a link that can help us all. Best of luck:)

Most people i know use either sequence or reeflo. I know that doesn't help but i thought i would just throw that out there.

"That is a little outdated already"....yah, i know. 2003. That's why I am hoping for something more current (pun intended :)

I have heard of issues with the ampmasters leaking. That said, "with time and water, all things change".

System needing pump replacement is a 240g SPS, one pump running the system. Currently a Hayward 3/4hp. Looking for greater efficiency and comparable flow.

It's always easier to spend someone elses's money, so
Weigh in with your opinion!
D

I have been steered to Iwaki's for my CL and main pumps. I really don't have any personal experience on pumps to recommend... I hope they are realiable. I am putting them in my crawl space below my tank stand and off to the side (under the entryway) for noise reasons even though it will increase the head loss a bit.

They make 3/4 h.p. pumps? Iwaki does make a good pump but have downfalls like most pumps do.

Depending on what its for would have different apps for each, Do you want a pressure rated pump? Iwaki's and panworld pumps are Pressure rated. Iwaki's stay away from American Pumps, Japenese pumps run better. Panworld run a little noisy but there is Mod you can do to quiet it down.

Reeflo , Sequence and Dolphin are all great Pumps. with the 3 Styles I personaly Feel point to one and click it, you'll be happy with your choice.

On my main tank ( 125G) I use a Panworld pump for a CL, and Eheim Submersible on my return. ( I prefer slow flow in Ref) it saves Power and is a very quiet system now.

Bob - do you have information or a link on the mod to quiet down an Panworld? I'd like to have that bit of knowledge for the future. Thanks!

Thanks, Bob! No worries about the link to RC. It is good information to have linked for those that need it!

trying to streamline....

"Depending on what its for would have different apps for each, Do you want a pressure rated pump? Iwaki's and panworld pumps are Pressure rated"

Affirmative. I have an Iwaki 100 dedicated to the skimmer on my last tank. Still have the skimmer and the Iwaki, but want to run one main pump for all but the reactor. Looking at 2' of fall from tank to sump, so head will be limited to what is derived from fittings.

Still hoping for a consolidated flow/amperage/head list...

The lazy way, to be sure :rolleyes:

I have my sequence Wahoo for sale, it is basically new, It is really too much for my tank, it produces 1550 gph with a 32 foot max. head.
It uses a Max 2.4 amps so for that size pump it preforms very well.

thanks

but as it is not pressure rated, is lower flow than my Iwaki, etc. I think it would not do the trick for me. Looks to be a great pump though!

I was considering cjg's Sequence 7400, but that is probably too much pump. Besides, I can get one new for what he is selling the used one for :oops:

Back