pump suggestions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

macronut

Looking for a new pump for 90 gal mixed reef. What do you use on on your tank for main circulation. Had planned on purchasing a quiet one 4000 or 6000 model, but from another post (equipment forum) I'm not sure if this will be enough turn over per hour. What do you use on your similar size tanks?

Is this pump just going to be for your sump return or are you going to use it for a closed loop? I ran 2 of the Quiet Ones on my cube (1506 gph per) and they put out great flow, but got really hot! They ran pretty cool in the beginning, but started to warm up things a lot to the point where my chiller cut in every 5 minutes or so and if I shut the chiller off, would warm up my water 4 degrees in about 2 hours or so. Mag drives (the bigger models) have a tendancy to do the same thing. In any event, a little info on how you plan to use it will better help us figure out an appropriate pump for you (ie sump return, closed loop, internally, externally etc):)

Last edited:
Cool...Well, how much does your overflow handle? You'll have to size the pump according to what your overflow can handle and how much flow you want running through your sump. I wouldn't base the pump on the notion of it being a primary source of flow. You may end up with more flow that your overflow/sump can handle:)

Exactly how high is it to the top of the tank from the sump, and how many 90's/45's are there and what size pipe do you plan on using?

Well according to the headloss calculator on rc a mag 9.5 would be too much pump.
You were looking at a Quiet One 3000? That would give you 582 gph using 1" pipe.

Back