Purple Ribbon Gorg. shedding

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shoreliner11

Me+NaH2O= :-)
I assume this is normal but I couldn't seem to find on the internet exactly why this is done. Is it a growth process or simply just shedding as do leathers from time to time? The gorgonian has been being spot fed regularly with rotifers as well as plenty of phyto to the tank. So I pretty sure its healthy. Thanks
Aaron

I have one healthy Gorgonia that sheds all the time. The problem I have had with all Gorgonias is that they need to be in relatively high current or else they get overgrown with algae. It seems to me the shedding would only help keep the algae away.

Hey Aaron
How is the 10 gal tank coming?
As for the purple ribbon gorgonian shedding, I have one in my 55 gal that sheds about once every three weeks. I have read in a couple of books that the reason this is done is to protect the gorgonian from fouling algae. Water motion is critical in helping them shed. it may take one to two days to fully shed. I try to help mine out by blowing them off with a turkey baster. hope this helps.
Patrick

the sloughing is quite normal. It sometimes a sign of stress... but more often simply growth and export of waste/metabolites.

If the shed lingers on the "body" more than a day or two, its a sign of inadequate water flow. It can be stifling to the point of infection if it is left on long enough. Do be careful.

kindly, Anthony :)

Thanks for the replies. I can't be happier with the health and growth of my tank thus far. Although I only have 2 gorgonians (Purple Ribbon and I believe Muriceopsis flavida) which are both photosynthetic they are doing quite well. I wish I could post some pics of the growth on the flavida but I lost my usb cord :mad: . The flavida I got was free because it looked to be in very poor shape (at least 75% tissue loss) but now it has at least 75% tissue coverage. I can honestly see growth from day to day. Currently I am feeding the tank 4 ml of dt's every day with a small amount of dt's oyster eggs as well. I am also feeding cyclop-eeze and rotifers every day or two depending on how I feel :) . Cyclop-eeze is to big for the flavida but the purple ribbon can still eat them. I also got a orange tunicate for very cheap because it looked crumpled in. This is kinda more of an experiment than anything. I know recovery (if it does) will be very slow so I am kinda just seeing how things go. Filtration right now is only a cpr hang on fuge(because of space limitations) which I light opposite the tank. It seems to be doing a very adequate job in keeping up with nutrients. I also use a prefilter on the return and wash it out every couple days. I do take it off when feeding for at least an hour. I've got some small hitchhiker sponges as well that seem to be doing good. I'm always looking to find some at the lfs and see if they just throw it in. Anyways, thanks again.
Aaron
oh and almost forgot, the shedding took place for the later half of the day but was all done by this morning.

Anthony I also have another question for you. I have a couple dead spots in the tank. Every couple days I've been blowing this off with a syring not just in an attempt to ged rid of the detritus but also because I've red that filter feeding corals such as Scleronepthya sp. can actually ingest this. I usually observe the gorgonians after doing this and although capture rate is not all that high I can still see some polyps catch bigger pieces(if there are any). Does detritus make up the natural diet of either gorgonian? I know that based on polyp structure alone small zooplankton would be more of a staple (I would think) of thier diet but I'm just unsure if they(I know its a sp. to sp. subject) have any means of actually getting these nutrients out of the water? Thanks again
Aaron
sorry for the bad comparison between scleronepthya and many gorgonians, I know they both have very big physiological differences but I guess you get the idea.

Last edited:
no worries... understood :)

And while I cannot say with certainty if these species of gorgonians eat any significant amount of detritus, many corals do indeed. I think the basting/blasting/stirring is a very good habit... although improving water flow would be the better solution (a perimeter closed loop manifold perhaps).

kindly, Anthony

Yeah, a small closed loop would be awesome but its a glass tank without much space behind and no space below. I might try and add another small powerhead, maybe like a rio 50 or something. Thanks
Aaron

have you considered an internal perimeter closed loop manifold (sigh... the so-called "Calfo-manifold" :p)? There is a thread here on RF about it and elsewhere on the web. Driven by an internal pump even, it is incredibly discreet.

I quickly glanced at the thread a while back but I'll take a closer look. I was searching for something else at the time and if I remember right it had a really high number of posts so I didn't feel like sorting through. Thanks for info.
Aaron

Back