Question on a cycle of a new tank.......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That was the very first book I read before I even bought equipment for my first saltwater tank. It helped me immensely well worth the price.

Since I live close by to the library and wanted to check out if they have the book available.....actually, they have two copies but all are being checked out...will place a hold on them once they're available...
Also, I had a chance to bring my water to Barrier Reef and tested out yesterday, I was told since my tank is fairly new so there is just a couple tests that are needed and got the result of
Alkalinity : 7
PH: 8.2
Nitrates: 1
Salinity: 1.027
It got me a little confused because the nitrate level is quite low and I don't know if the tank is cycled and also when do I need to do a water change...

As per the "calcium reactor" it is actually a carbon reactor. Is there no pump hooked up to it? You will want to clean it out before turning it on as I can see a bunch of detrituts sitting in there. Who knows how long the carbon has been in there as well, so I would just replace it all. When you are rinsing your new carbon to get rid of the carbon dust, make sure to use RO/di water. Otherwise you will end up wasting some of your carbon as it sucks up impurities from your tap water.

How big is this tank? Is it like a 6 foot 250? If you want to keep hard corals, you will eventually need to run all 3 lights. 2 x 250w metal halides cant possibly light 6 feet of tank effectively unless you only place corals under the two running lights.

Also, that skimmer has got to go. I am not sure what that thing is, but it looks like some old school POS lol.

With all those fish and 0 algae I would certainly expect more nitrates, or an ongoing cycle. Really wish they would have tested ammonia and nitrites so we could know for sure if there is still a cycle going on.

You have a lot of large algae grazing fish in there. What is your feeding regiment like? What types of foods are you giving them and how much?

Back