Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lmannan

I have been doing reefing for about 2-3 years. I have this brown algae that forms on my glass very often. I am not sure why. I have stable environment but was wondering if I wash my filters with tap water and shake them as dry as I can should that be causing such an outbreak? I only do it once a month and the algae will grow to cover the glass in a matter of 3 days. After a week you can't see through. It cleans easy but still a pain.

I am not sure if it matters but my lights are about 9 months old but I didn't want to replace except 1 time per year. The corals are not acting like the lighting is affecting them at all they love it.

Its possible you have too much nutrients in your water . I don't think a little bit of tap water should affect your system that much. maybe your bio load is too high or your feeding too much? These are just guesses.

So are you running T5's? Or Halide? Depending on the type of bulb it might be time to change them, the spectrum of light they give off does change and will cause algae blooms. And as stated above has your bio load increased or any changes in your feeding schedule changed?

New lamps may be needed. I can always tell via the type of new algae growth when my T5's are needing to be replaced. Usually at the 9-12 month mark.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Wat size tank? Wat skimmer? Tell us about ur setup...how often do u wc?
Sounds to.me like the regular diatom algae I clean off my glass almost daily.
Not a problem imo unless it builds up too fast like cr@zyness.
-d

Wat size tank? Wat skimmer? Tell us about ur setup...how often do u wc?
Sounds to.me like the regular diatom algae I clean off my glass almost daily.
Not a problem imo unless it builds up too fast like cr@zyness.
-d

Devin,you should grow a little hair algea in your display. I can go 2 weeks without cleaning my glass.

Back