Quite possibly a dumb Live Rock question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am not saying that people who "control" their environment have problems with controling their tanks. Control is a funny word, to me anyway. The tank is only "in control" as lang as you tinker with it. As soon as you stop adding things or taking things out, nature takes "control" and it will appear that everything is "out of control". Nature WILL balance your tank. It may not give you the results that you personally want, but nature will make a balance, I assure you of that.

I do feel that people should run their tanks the way they want, but people also need to know that there are other ways, be it more "hands-on" or more "hands-off".

To me the skimmed, UV sterilized, RO/DI water tanks are sterile and lifeless, compared to the complete reverse of those options. I don't think that having a coral munching nudibrach is very cool, but I deal with the nasties as they come. I don't kill everything, just to avoid a nasty critter. I have gotten too many great suprises on my live rock to even consider cleaning it off before puting it in my tank. To me the risk is worth it. :)

Anyway, like I said, run the tank the way you like, that's why it's a hobby, and that's why we enjoy it. Consider all points of view before you dive in, and don't be afraid to change your tactics later, if you want a change or it doesn't work the way you tried it first.

Hope that clarifies some things, have a great night,
Monty

I am not saying that people who "control" their environment have problems with controling their tanks. Control is a funny word, to me anyway. The tank is only "in control" as lang as you tinker with it. As soon as you stop adding things or taking things out, nature takes "control" and it will appear that everything is "out of control". Nature WILL balance your tank. It may not give you the results that you personally want, but nature will make a balance, I assure you of that.

I do feel that people should run their tanks the way they want, but people also need to know that there are other ways, be it more "hands-on" or more "hands-off".

To me the skimmed, UV sterilized, RO/DI water tanks are sterile and lifeless, compared to the complete reverse of those options. I don't think that having a coral munching nudibrach is very cool, but I deal with the nasties as they come. I don't kill everything, just to avoid a nasty critter. I have gotten too many great suprises on my live rock to even consider cleaning it off before puting it in my tank. To me the risk is worth it. :)

Anyway, like I said, run the tank the way you like, that's why it's a hobby, and that's why we enjoy it. Consider all points of view before you dive in, and don't be afraid to change your tactics later, if you want a change or it doesn't work the way you tried it first.

Hope that clarifies some things, have a great night,
Monty

Cool Beans!!! :D

Back