RBTA magically appeared.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FUBAR

I'm awesome.
Ok... so...

I recently took a bunch of my friends corals.

He kept a RBTA in there, and it was partly stuck to one of the rocks I took, but it let go quickly when we moved that rock.

Anways, I'm sitting here a week later. Checked my tank on my lunch, and ther's a little RBTA. No bigger than a dime in diameter.

I was never planning on keeping one, but now that I have one. How does one properly care for it?

The first thing is that it will decide where it wants to reside in your tank. You can target feed it when it gets bigger. Make sure if you have power heads that the intakes are covered.

Yeah, all the powerheads are covered.

And I understand that they move around till they find where they like. (which is part of the reason I didn't plan on having one)

What about feeding now? It's so small, it would be hard to feed directly. Do they act like filter feeders at this size?

What about lighting? I've read they are light demanding. I have one of those Viper hang-on MH things. Sufficient?

As for corals and what not, I currently have coralimorphs (shrooms, rics, etc) And some frogspawn. Is this going to be an issue with them killing eachother?

I feed mine flake and pellet food in addition to silversides and a variety of other foods. Feed it some small pellet food. I had one leave a small chunck of "foot" on a rock one time and it also made a cute little clone. But it will GROW. Enjoy.

Nevermind.

I.... I kinda just tore it in half.

It was on the backside of my magnet algae scraper. And I went go get rid of some algae on the glass.... and... well...

Half of it is on the glass, half is on the magnet. :(

One half disappeared as magically as it appeared.

The other half seems to be healing itself.... so we'll see.

Does the anemone look like this one:

Tulip/Majoano Anemone

If so, I suggest getting it out of your tank, unless you like it more than you like your other corals. They are a pest anemone and reproduce rapidly. They have a powerful sting and will kill surrounding corals to insure their survival.

If on the other hand, the anemone does not look like that, you might be okay. But I've never seen a BTA that small.

Nick

Well, it's definately not a mojano. As far as the tulip, I don't know. I can't open that link from work, so I don't know what it looks like. I'm kinda hoping it is, so I can kill it and not have an anenome. Haha.

But my friends RBTA has dropped off more than a few "kids" in his tank. And everytime it did, they started out about the size of a pencil eraser. But everyone of them grew to full size.

I just looked at the link. Definately does not look like that.

Question- Why is that person saying it's a great addition to a reef tank?

Because he's trying to sell them. If its not a majano then you should be fine. Congrats.

Nick

Back