RBTA Tragedy!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, it's happened....what everyone always warned me about AND what I've tried to take precautions against. My RBTA bypassed my large powerheads that are protected and got stuck in a lil' pump that goes to my CPR Aquafuge. It's just a lil' tiny RIO. Not really an intake to cover. The RBTA is a lil' mangled and I don't know how to tell if it's going to make it or not. I've moved it to the 29 that I'm going to be tearing down. That's the tank it recently came out of so I know it was happy in there for quite some time. Any suggestions?

As long as you keep the water quality good it should recover fine. These things are tougher than you think as long as they have a good enviroment

It seems like most RBTA owners have been there - sorry Bro. The good news is that 9 out of 10 times they recover w/ time... and if you're lucky, the stress or small tears from the pump may cause it to split.

i was chipping apart a massive piece of live rock with one on it. some how the anenome got ripped off the rock the foot was still attached to the rock. the anenome made a full recovery and the foot grew into a new anenome as well. these are very hardy

So how do you protect a seio? With the maxi jets you just use some sponge material? I would like to anemone proof my powerheads before I get one.

Sid,

i think it will recover. I remember a long time ago, there was a reefer chopping them to pieces as a fraging technique and they all survived like a mushroom.

I dont agree to his approach... but yours will survive....

lets not start a luke bashing hijack here! hope the rbta continues to look good. the only new suggestion i have is maybe lower light lever for a few days.

Thanks all, the lighting is lower in the 29. 29 has PC lighting that the RBTAs been in for about 6-8 months. RBTA was moved to 75 last week. 75 has T5 lighting. I'll leave in 29 for a few days of healing. Unfortunately, I can't leave it in the 29 long because I'm tearing the tank down on Thursday and delivering it to someone who purchased it.

Lets not start a gabby bashing hijack here either:lol: :lol:
RBTAs are amazingly tough. Now as for the stuff that got sprayed, be afraid... be VERY afraid! I almost lost my prize Palau green Singulara to necrosis that set in as an opportunistic infection. Do as Brian suggests, get carbon going ASAP!

Back