Rebirth of an old 300 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

khaosinc

the cyborg reefer
About a month ago I picked up Kylems old 300 on the other side of the state. Had one of my larger fiascos on the way back with the state police being convinced it was a portable meth lab, then finally got it home to sit around for a bit until I figured out what was planned for it.

Its mostly figured out, and from here I can wing it...LOL

003.jpg

With some help of a couple members here, we got it off the truck, (thanks Dave/NWdiver) and its been in my shop waiting until recently.

Patched up the closed loop, as bulkheads and I don't get along
082.jpg

must of done something right. Once its done you won't be able to see the patches.

005-10.jpg

With a little creativity, a Cherry picker, some 4x4s and a floor jack the tank is in the living room so I can work on it at night and mock up all the plumbing

001-13.jpg

Unfortunetly, I doubt I have enough plumbing

002-12.jpg

006-11.jpg

The tank feed will need to go up over 2 tanks, around a corner and down splitting in to 2 feed lines in to the top, the return needs to go through 1 stand then weave around the stand for the 750. It works in my head anyway

I'm mocking up my idea for the spray foam/rock side that will house the snowflake eel in my sump and any interesting tank mates that might come along. The other side will be a frag/grow out tank. The whole tank will be part of my main system. also got most of the coraline off, the whole tank needs to go out for one last pressure washing yet. But I need to mock up the plumbing at least.

010-8.jpg

I'm also experimenting with using weld on 16 instead of gaskets. I hate bulkheads and I'm not going to have access to the back of this tank without draining it or removing a wall. hope I don't regret it. If it works, I am redoing the 750 the same way.

012-8.jpg

Last edited:
with any luck, in a week or so I'll be calling you to help get it on the stand...LOL

I need more spray foam..

happy to help and stare into that huge ocean you have in the house :)

took 1 of those barrels you gave me and made a clever compost tumbler LOL now people want me to make them one lol

Theres plenty of other barrels in the back yard. For compost the black ones would be fine.

LOL.

I hate plumbing.

are all these in your garage/fish room? And i think i am guessing there all tied together?

All tied together, well, the 300 will be soon. With the water change system and the (soon to be) 2 skimmers it should be around 1750 gallons. All of it is in 1 room thats a little less than 20x15. Theres room for my chair to sit and watch everything (which I hope to do someday...LOL) and a bit in the back to work/test/qt and thats about it.

At some point when I'm up to it, I'm hoping to knock out a section of the back wall and tie my house in to the shop. Would give me some much needed space so I can stop taking over the living room for projects.

And if your bored today and want out of the heat, I should be either plumbing, or playing with rock foam walls today depending on my motivation.

Last edited:
Well, got a bit more done before I ran out of a few crucial parts. Funny how that happens after the only store anywhere near you is closed. Due to several people asking, this is also a photo tour of my fish room...

This is the veiw walking in to the room.. you can usually see the glow from the street as well.

Turn right and you meet turtle. I never did name him, figured he wouldn't come when I called anyway.
050-2.jpg

Behind you when staring at turtle, my skimmer sits. Its about to be upgraded....

048-2.jpg

take a left behind the tank and heres my mess.
047-2.jpg

behind that mess is part of the secret to my power bill problem... each of the 4 ways is on its own circut.
062.jpg

hood vent for the 750
056-1.jpg

and up to the attic to an exaust fan that only kicks on when its over 80 in the tank (RKE)

057-1.jpg

under the mangrove swamp is some storage (yea I picked up a little for the pic)
054-1.jpg

more storage under the stand for the 300 (soon to be done) its a custom acrylic deal that I got with the 300 that is now my sump.

055-1.jpg

Inside the stand are the return lines for the mangrove swamp and the 300..

unions and valves so I can isolate any 1 tank, or 1 line if needed.
043.jpg

042.jpg

and in theroy if the tape measure didn't lie to badly this is where the 300 will go. I need it in place to do the last of the plumbing.

052-1.jpg

Got some of the tank plumbing as well, before running out of fittings.

041.jpg

I'm gonna go make a mess with spray foam now...

Last edited:
holy crap, got alot done. dont ya hate when ya run out of stuff :(
you didnt pan that camera to your main DT :O shame shame LOL

Yes i think i know where your power bill is coming from !!

Thanks for sharing

I hope to come up sometime and check it out in person :)

lol.... its a bit of a mess at the moment, was playing in the sand again...

I'm usually around if you are up this way.

061.jpg

Finally sat down to play with spray foam. I have a couple ideas that I want to play with as well. Using pvc fittings for interesting nooks, and second shaping the spray foam after it drys. I'm not planning on the epoxy/sand part because its a PITA, and everything in my tank seems to turn purple soon enough anyway. The "mighty" shop lights will most likely be over the eel side of the tank, and for some reason they grow coraline like mad.

Anyway... take one pile of rocks...

001-14.jpg

then add some boring egg crate...

002-13.jpg

throw a bunch of rocks/pvc pieces on there...
003-13.jpg

and spray foam the heck out of everything. I tried the Becket stuff because it was on sale cheaper than great stuff. not using it again. I like my great stuff.

005-12.jpg

and repeat with wall section #2
004-13.jpg

This will be the divider between the 2 tanks. Just going to be foam, and drilled out to put frag plugs in one side, and play with my sculpting idea on the other. Leaving room for good flow between the tanks. ran out of foam

007-13.jpg

Once its nice and hard tommorow night, I'm going to go at the foam with a die grinder and a drill. see what happens.

Ahhh the easy way to deal with stubbern coraline algea and other stains...

3000 psi...

037-1.jpg

030-4.jpg

028-3.jpg

yummy....

033-1.jpg

Return plumbing is in, and I'm running my top off water through it now to check for leaks. Had one union not tight enough, and it looks like I bumped a bit of the overflow getting everything in (crawling over the tank)so I'll have to see about fixing that tommorow. About killed myself today getting stubbern trying to do things. I suspect I will regret it when I wake up...

Fish room is offically crowded. The extra stand is just for me to have a work table, thats where my comphy chair goes...
014-6.jpg

Leaky leaky. so far one loose union isn't so bad for the goofy plumbing I pulled getting it all in there...
017-7.jpg

needed to top off anyway, been a couple days since I had and it actually broke 80 today... LOL 1 leak in the overflow... I suspect it was me crawling over the tank. Tank is not near as bad as it looks, I let it air dry after pressure washing it. I needed a nap.
016-7.jpg

sump is getting a little cluttered. On the lighter side I don't think I will need powerheads in there anymore. I figure about 4000 gph from return lines should be plenty. Gonna have to figure out new levels for power outages. Theres a whole lot of 1 1/4" line to drain out of there. Still need to run a proper line to the 250 as well, its still running on hose as I didn't get to it yet.

025-2.jpg

wow been at it again, I made trip south to add some livestock.
I woulda loved to see ya do the rock wall stuff, that interests me alot for a future endevours
as well as plumbing, those bigger systems amaze me how people plump them.

wow been at it again, I made trip south to add some livestock.
I woulda loved to see ya do the rock wall stuff, that interests me alot for a future endevours
as well as plumbing, those bigger systems amaze me how people plump them.

Are you saying I'm a little chubby to be in them tight spaces...LOL

I ddi dang near get stuck in the stand for the 250.... I'm to fat to be in there fixing leaks.

Back