Rebirth of an old 300 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wow, didnt realize how many tanks you got going. with your talents, might as well build a garage, build a pool and throw everything in so you can at least swim with your pets. J/K
just jeolous over here, i wish i can have a huge tank. nice skimmer by the way

Any time Dave.. I'm usually kicking around.

LOL, I took over the garage for the tanks now. Though if I ever get my 1000 sq ft shop cleaned out....LOL.

And back to the mangrove swamp.... I have my first leaves....

I have a couple right behind this one. Its weird, most people seem to get massive roots before leaves, but I really only have a couple inches of roots..

Suppose I need to dig up a clean spray bottle for RODI now...

002.jpg

And after 2 years of the cheap light I picked up on ebag annoying me I finally deceided to pull it down and take a peek. It's always had trouble with lights randomly going out and such after the first year. It was sold as an 8x80 fixture and I never questioned that. The bulbs in it were not marked, which I just figured was cheap china stuff. Well, I pulled it down and picked off the ebay seller sticker (2 years later) and guess what I found...

003.jpg

suppose that might be why it has trouble with HO lights... LOL.

005.jpg

at least Normal output lights are easy to find.

Last edited:
well, I will be kicking around this weekend, someone tried to pawn off call on me, I said NO LOL. if ya need any help dont hestitate to call, but I may swing by anyway :)

LOL... pop goes the photobucket. 10 gb bandwidth exceded...

so I guess no one can see the fixture I built to replace the one thats got NO ballasts (until I get bulbs anyway.) until the 19th..

005-1.jpg

should be back up tommorow. Suppose I should think about upgrading to pre one of these days.

She lives... Thanks Dave, not looking to shabby for running fresh water and a splash of vinager. Picked up most of what I need to plumb it tonight.

Dang it... I have 3 projects on hold, and I'm ready to fire up the new skimmer but I need my salt to come in first. I'm running about 100 gallons low at the moment.

And the post office did an impressive number on my package from reef cleaners as well looks like someone used it to catch a spear. Hermit crabs loose all over the box, and about 1/2 the bags empty. We shall see how everything does. But theres all sorts of interesting macros in the fuge now.

And the post office did an impressive number on my package from reef cleaners as well looks like someone used it to catch a spear.

awsome mental image thanks!!! lol:D

I have 6 buckets coming, I'm just not good at waiting. Takes a full bucket just to do a water change on this system.

Holy mother of pearl, that things humongous. And a whole bucket for a water change! My goodness. When Jason did a water change tonight on our tank, he actually scooped the water with a pitcher to put the 5 gals back in. Could you imagine doing that with your wc?! That metal sternum of yours would probably fall off....

LOL, this is why I use large tubs and pumps... Salt water is a great weed killer for the driveway. 200 gallons is only a 12% water change on my system.. If that. This is why I don't do them that often. I have a pretty light bioload in the scheme of things so I don't worry much.

Ever get nervous when a leak test goes well on the first try....

001-1.jpg

30 seconds after fire up...

002.jpg

and this is how much water it takes to fill the skimmer. Thats in an 8x2' 300 gallon tank. The fill line is where I keep the level at so I have enough room for all the water in the pipes to drain without overflowing the sump. Also use that mark for top off.. which it was before I hooked up the skimmer. Suppose I have a power loss test coming tonight as well.

003.jpg

LOL... and should have been watching it more closely while running it wide open... guess I had a bit to skim...

man my fish room stinks..

001.jpg

Back