Rebirth of an old 300 gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

first full day all dialed in and happy.... and stinky...

002-1.jpg

i think i missed it,

what type of skimmer is that? and what kinda power is that thing drawing? Might need to call Grand Coule Dam see if they can push those turbine upgrades along so it doesnt drain the grid.

Itss a euro reef 1000, running 5 ehiem 1262's gravity fed by my overflow... runs about 400 watts.

I'm about 6' for size reference...

006.jpg

still being nice and agreeable. My old skimmer didn't pull this much out in 2 weeks...

004-4.jpg

everything looks happy in there, I really need to clean today.
005-4.jpg

LOL... I got distracted and didn't... but the Polara is running...

Really should have checked the skimmer though.. dialed it back even more..
001-2.jpg

And it is nasty stuff... its not like I'm skimming tea.

I might look in to seeing if I can get another 6" of extention on that neck.

Last edited:
Set the skimmer in another one of you huge tanks you got laying aroung lol. that would solve alot

Shhhhhh dont enable him LOL he actually has water in all his tanks now LOL without knocking walls out for more room. he cant get another tank in there lol

I have the bulkhead to mod it, never gotten around to installing it on the old one. I was actually thinking of running it outside to a 55 gallon barrel. would fill the 5 gallon bucket in less than a week, and I always manage to spill those.

LOL... don't ya hate it when someone does a big change to their tank and doesn't show any pics of what everything looks like.... giggle...

well, I kinda accidently bought this tank and everything in it...
010-1.jpg

An entire truckload just in fish and coral... and just a little extra live rock. My sump is almost full

009-2.jpg

also have a bunch of live rock this size... (I couldn't lift it out of the tank by myself.)

005-8.jpg

If I had bothered to clean it, you could see that the 1/2 of the 300 gallon tank that is my frag tank is full... really really full
008-3.jpg

the second truckload was just equipment..

001-4.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-1.jpg

and a spare sump, and a mess of unused acrylic... and I'm not even sure whats in the boxes, theres also a full bucket of powerheads..

004-7.jpg

the third truckload brought over the live sand, some stuff I'm to tired to get out of my truck, and the biggest PITA fish to catch... christmas wrasse.
010.jpg

I also added 3 tangs, 3 chalk bass, a CBB (that eats) 1/2 dozen misc small fish, a golden moray eel, a red BTA w/ breeding maroon clowns, coral beauty that ignores corals, phych manderin that eats frozen food, and another dozen corals to my tank as my frag tank is full... Gave DJ the other RBTA some rock and powerheads as he saved my hindquarters getting all that moved and well, he's a cool guy. No one else showed to help.. LOL.

I still have another truckload of stuff, not to mention a 260 gallon tank, stand and sump to move, with 3 pumps running a closed loop.

All for less than a reasonable cost of the 400 pounds of live rock I brought home

My tank is officially full and stocked.... maybe tommorow I'll even take pics...I literally just had to cut my boots off because my feet are so swollen.

Edit... you know its been a good haul when it takes 50 gallons of water to acclimate everything...

Last edited:
Also found a fun product because I can't resist things on sale..

its no good for deep scratches, but if you have a light haze on the outside of your tank, spray this stuff on, and rub it off with an old T shirt. not so sure about using it inside the tank though... this is the 12 year old acrylic stand I've been ising for a work bench for the last year...

012.jpg

and after. took about 5 mins.

013.jpg

Wow That spray works GREAT! Where did you get it?

-Jen

Finally sat down to play with spray foam. I have a couple ideas that I want to play with as well. Using pvc fittings for interesting nooks, and second shaping the spray foam after it drys. I'm not planning on the epoxy/sand part because its a PITA, and everything in my tank seems to turn purple soon enough anyway. The "mighty" shop lights will most likely be over the eel side of the tank, and for some reason they grow coraline like mad.

Anyway... take one pile of rocks...

001-14.jpg

then add some boring egg crate...

002-13.jpg

throw a bunch of rocks/pvc pieces on there...
003-13.jpg

and spray foam the heck out of everything. I tried the Becket stuff because it was on sale cheaper than great stuff. not using it again. I like my great stuff.

005-12.jpg

and repeat with wall section #2
004-13.jpg

This will be the divider between the 2 tanks. Just going to be foam, and drilled out to put frag plugs in one side, and play with my sculpting idea on the other. Leaving room for good flow between the tanks. ran out of foam

007-13.jpg

Once its nice and hard tommorow night, I'm going to go at the foam with a die grinder and a drill. see what happens.

Thanks for the idea of using the piping for eels and fish to swim through! How do you get the eggcrate secured onto the back wall of the tank?

-Jen

Thanks for the idea of using the piping for eels and fish to swim through! How do you get the eggcrate secured onto the back wall of the tank?

-Jen

it is built to be free standing. I'm still not completly happy with it, the whole thing may yet be redone... just a little spray foam to keep it in place

Wow That spray works GREAT! Where did you get it?

-Jen

found it at home depot, Its filling cracks rather than polishing them out. It works ok on tanks, for the 5 mins it takes, but deep scratches will still be noticable. Though reduced

Have not tried it inside a tank yet. It was only like $5

Back