Reccomend a skimmer for my 40b?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mirepa

o.O
I currently have a Coralife SS-65, got it a few years ago for a 29gal. I figure there are some new and improved models that are affordable.

Anything you guys can recommend for my 40b + 25g sump. I think there is a little room left in the sump for a in-tank skimmer. I'd like to use one I can hang like my coralife.

Oh and I plan to have a heavily populated tank of sps and lps. Few fish here and there =]

Thanks!

for 40g with sps i would say definately do an in sump,
even if it means having to get a cheap glass tank to run as a new sump with more room.
a SWC extreme 160 for $269 would be good,
or for less, a bubble magus NAC6 for $138

Aqua c Remora....

the nano the regular or the pro..

really?? in a system with a 25g sump?? the remora nano???

here is the evolutionary emotional response from 90% of people who own any model of remora:
:confused: .... :cry: ... :evil:

especially now, in the modern skimmer game, remora's/urchin's got nothing.
....at least Aqua C took that stupid pic off their website revealing how much skimmate
a remora gathered out of an aquarium in a week. it was absolutely pathetic.
with everything changing to pinwheels/meshwheels Aqua c's designs got left in the dust.

Thanks for the input guys... looks like I'll be trying to fit a NAC6 in my fuge. I hope my minimum water level is good enough :dunno:

Thanks for the input guys... looks like I'll be trying to fit a NAC6 in my fuge. I hope my minimum water level is good enough :dunno:

that skimmer likes 10-12" so if you cant accomodate that, then it wouldnt be the best choice.
there are others that would be decent, like the octo nw-150 (2009 version)
or vertex in-sump 80 would be good...just not my favorite pump...resun pumps sux, but it does "perform" well. both could be run in 7-9" instead of the 10-12" that the NAC6 requires.

Here is a little something I picked up

I picked up this skimmer about two weeks ago now and I love it. For the price you got to love it. I systems is doing so much better since I got it. One of the best nano skimmers out there for the price. There is a place in PDX that has them for a lot lest the you will find them on line. They are moving them for less then $100 last time I checked. The name of the place is Called Rose city Aquariums. Hope you find what you are looking for. Here is a little video of the skimmer in working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZL2JrSDZr0

Here is a little something I picked up

I picked up this skimmer about two weeks ago now and I love it. For the price you got to love it. I systems is doing so much better since I got it. One of the best nano skimmers out there for the price. There is a place in PDX that has them for a lot lest the you will find them on line. They are moving them for less then $100 last time I checked. The name of the place is Called Rose city Aquariums. Hope you find what you are looking for. Here is a little video of the skimmer in working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZL2JrSDZr0

same crappy pump as the vertex skimmer...the resun...it really is a lame little pump and i dont know why skimmer companies choose to skimp on a lame pump that is infamous for failing..it also has a bad power factor and produces a fair amount of heat. but just as I said for the vertex, it does "perform" well.
I personally wolud avoid eshopps skimmers and would buy a vertex over an eshopps if if was to buy a skimmer with a resun pump(which i wouldnt...)

I'm not sure if the video mentioned that the pump was located at the bottom of the skimmer outside of the tank! Lol.

He keeps repeating this over and over.

I know, right?
where was the pump again??

I'd rather have a OTP pump like on the octopus skimmers than deal with the resun's. and Octopus skimmers arent the best by far.
you personally have a little wiggle room though because your only looking to skim 40g.
As I said in the beginning, the SWC extreme 160 for $269 is probably your best bet. Great economy when you look at the quality of the pump, quality of the design/build, amount of air injection vs. watt consumtion, and amount of water processed per air processed. An all around good quality, high efficency, small sized, inexpensive skimmer. What more do you want?? lol

and no, the octopus extreme series isnt as good as the SWC...:idea:
As i just said on another board, CV/octo couldnt mod the sicce properly to save their life. the impeller and venturi are lame by comparison to all other companies who have great success with that pump, like SWC, WM, ATI, ATB to name a few.

For a 40g i'd do the bubble magnus. They are my favorite budget skimmer out there.

Back