Red Pygmy Goby MIA

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

300ZXNA

Okey doke, I realize I'm probably just worrying too much, but two days ago I bought a red pygmy goby. After releasing him into the tank after acclimation he disappeared into the rock and I haven't seen him since. I figured it's probably normal while he settles into the tank, but can't help but wonder if something may have happened. Several feedings have gone by now with no sign of him. I realize that with him being so small, that even a 30 gallon tank like mine could easily hide him for good lengths of time. Anyone ever had one of these take a while to settle in and start coming out at feeding? The only fish I can imagine that might bully it is my six-line wrasse. Any feedback appreciated!

My Yasha Goby hides for a time of a 2 day span sometimes and then it surfaces to feed. My suggestion would be to shoot food into the hole that you last saw the fish swim in to.

Hopefully the fish will come out. Some of the purposes of quarantine is to get the fish more acclimated to captive life and the foods you offer. Sorry you by-passed this opportunity. If you are willing, please at least read the first couple of sections of this post: A Quarantine Procedure.

Hope your fish shows! :)

yeah, I know I should have a quarantine tank, but I live in a one room studio. Literally don't have room, kind of sucks.

A little 5.5 gal, hob filter and heater wouldn't take up much room. You could easily QT a wee goby in that. Since I've started to quaranteen religiously, I don't have any more of those "where's my new fish?!?" moments. QT is for more than just disease. I bet you see your fish sooner than later. Good luck.

lol, tonight at feeding time, guess who finally showed up. Hadn't seen him in 10 days, but he's doing fine. Crazy that even with a tank as small as a 30 gallon he can stay totally hidden. The only downside is that my six-line jumped out last night.

*sigh*

I'm glad to hear he turned up! I guess you don't have to worry about your six line picking on anyone now, oops.

Barbie

Back