Red Slime Algae Remover/Protein Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N1Husker

RF Staff
I got some stuff for the red slime algae for my tank. The product worked great and I followed the instructions to the letter/ I did a 20-25% water change 48 hrs after the initial treatment, per the instructions. The problem is now my protein skimmer goes crazy, bubbles like crazy, and fills with water to the point of overflowing, and bubbles out around the edge of the top edge that the collection cup sits, and through the vents of the collection cup lid. I put in carbon to my filter to try and remove it from the water, but to no avail. Should I do another water change this soon or wait and see what happens?

You can safely do water changes daily of 30-40% in an established system.

I am a bit afraid to ask what product you used though. Cyano is not a quick fix and you more then likely just put a band aid on your problem and it will rear it's ugly head again soon.

The best way to go is starting a thread on the problem and trouble shoot the issue.

Frank

I used Chemiclean Red Slime Remover, recommended by Saltwater City (one of our sponsors). They said that I will have to treat it once a month. Other than that I don't know how to keep it out of the tank. I don't overfeed, I've only got one fish and he is supposed to be fed three times a day. He's a small tang. Also I am not very computer smart I don't know what starting a new thread means.

There are other things you can do to help. Better flow, decrease the time your lights are on, etc. Do a search for cyano and you'll find plenty of info.

What is the ideal amount of lighting to keep my corals and fish happy but keepthe red slime algae at bay? White, blue antinic, and LED.

imo, a better soloution, would have been to advise you to do a very substantial cleaning of your system to remove excess nutrients in the forms of detritus, and to physically remove as much of the cyano as possible, ie, taking each rock out and rinsing or scrubbing it if nessesary, and siphoning/cleaning the sand of any detritus/algae. also cleaning your sump if there is any excess algae/detritus there as well.
u should do it all in one water change, but i would leave half of the liverock in the tank while cleaning/replacing the other half so your tang has somewhere to hide and doesnt spazz out too bad.
after this, then treat with the oxidizer(what chemi-clean is). as far as the skimmer going nuts, kinda unavoidable until the oxidizer diminishes some...
set your skimmer on it's lowest setting and let it take it out...if you have a drain, you can use a bucket, and have a pre-made bucket of saltwater on hand to replace the water. extra carbon changed out every 48 hrs will help too.

then figure out what you can add to the system to control the excess nutrients that arent being handled...
maybe increasing your flow in the display, adding a refugium, or a bigger refugium, a better skimmer, a media reactor for your carbon and phosphate medias, and a media reactor for biopellets.

also, imo, lighting has nothing to do with it. it's all water chemistry. look at how much light energy is in the ocean, is it covered in cyano??

Last edited:
Back