Reed's new start

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I installed the Vortech today and with that came another rescape so that the flow could work better. I have to say...so far I love this pump. Great wide spread flow with a built in wavemaker....sweet. I can see where I might want a second one down the road sometime, but for now I think it will work well. Now it's just a matter of keeping up the hair algae battle and getting the PO4 under control. Then I should be in the clear.

Nice tank reedman. I love cubes.

How's the double saddle doing? Were you nervous about it nipping SPS?

So, how many times have you reaquascaped now? :p

Looking forward to coming over to see it.

Nice tank reedman. I love cubes.

How's the double saddle doing? Were you nervous about it nipping SPS?
Double saddle is my favorite fish. Doesn't nip at all. I did a lot of research before getting him so, no I was not nervous.
So, how many times have you reaquascaped now? :p

Looking forward to coming over to see it.
I can't tell you how many times and I already know I will be rescaping again....it's an addiction. I welcome your thoughts and suggestions when you come over. There's always room to learn and a new set of eyes has always helped.

Just an update. I have been fighting some hair algae that I think is fueled by PO4 leaching out of the rock. After some discussion with DonW and others I have scrubbed all rock and also acid bathed some of it to try to open the pores and rejuvenate the rock. This will not be a fast process as I don't want to shock anything in the tank so stay tuned for more updates.

In the mean time, when the lights come on I will try to snap some pics.

Update for March

Just thought I would update the tank status. I had a massive meltdown in the fish department which resulted in a complete loss of all my fish. Now that really sucks....no doubt about that...but my corals are looking better than ever now and I also get to rethink what fish I will add without worry about them getting along with the existing bunch (since I now have no fish).

So.....here's a few pics of the tank now.

Added a couple of new fish and cleaner shrimp today courtesy of Barrier Reef's customer appreciation sale (Thanks Guys!).

Picked up a couple of orange spot sand sifting gobies and a dragon faced pipefish as a test case. If this one does good I will probably add more. So far he seems very happy and is doing well. I hope this continues. Also added a couple of the cleaner shrimp (always loved these).

I will try to get some new pics up tomorrow if the sun doesn't shine too much. Things are progressing well and the tank is to my liking now. I think I am maxed out on SPS. Now it's time to watch them grow out and selectively remove some. I also think I will slowly add some LPS to the lower levels of the tank to fill it in a little.

Thanks guys! Roscoe...coming from the guy that squeezed more than I ever thought possible in a 40b....I'm not surprised to see that comment from you ;)

Back