reef tank is a reef tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Your tank will need rock or a media to grow and house good bacteria.

You need to be ready explain to the better half that you got it for 1/2 of what it is worth

I think this can be applied to most things in the hobby, just bought a really expensive pump...wife thinks it was on sale. >.> :tape:

many of people who have been very much on top of it have had crashes that has led them to question exactly that. not so long ago there was someone, or a group that was making their way through retailers adding copper to their tanks. its was a thread on here as a matter of fact.

One word

Sabotage!!!!

This may need clarification. I belive what skimheavy was refering to, and what I was also, is how so many don't test and are always changing things and then are left wondering what went want wrong. you may not understand a crash but at least you should be testing and monitoring and only make gradual changes so you can limit the possibilties when something does go wrong.

how about critters that help clean our tanks. snails, hermit crabs, fish that eat algae, sand sifters like snails, sand sifting starfish, and fish that stir up our sand. they all play a big part of our reef tanks. feather dusters, sponges, that help with cleaning our water.

how about critters that help clean our tanks. snails, hermit crabs, fish that eat algae, sand sifters like snails, sand sifting starfish, and fish that stir up our sand. they all play a big part of our reef tanks. feather dusters, sponges, that help with cleaning our water.

If you make that more broad and state it as 'something has to clean the tank', I think it mostly works, but when you look at some well established tanks, they are running with a minimum if any clean up crew. The same is true for some aggressive tanks where snails and hermits would mostly just be snacks, even more so if they are being run BB so that a CuC wouldn't include anything to stir/hide in the sand. I can also imagine that some coral only tanks that aren't really fed or just spot feedings would do just fine without a CuC.
Also, the in the end that 'something' that has to clean the tank is just us.

I think this list of hard rules might be easier to do if you get a little more specific on the 'type' of tank. You could throw out the outliers in the curve that way. The problem with that of course is how do you classify them? What is an aggressive tank once you add a few corals? A FOWLR with gsp and zoa's? An NSP tank with an anemone? A mixed reef with angels and butterflies? While some things seem like they might not work at all, its amazing how often you find someone running it successfully because they happened upon fish with the right 'personalities' and corals or whatever else that just happen to fit with each other.

@skimheavy...waiting on ur last one...
@peppie. I'm not.putting sabotage! Lol
@reeferman069... as soon as we can narrow that down. I think its a big part. Cuc?!
@spieszak. I did. A reef tank. Meaning warm sw with fish and coral or other inverts.
I believe those are all sub classes to a reef tank. Like having a computer. Or having a gaming computer or photo computer. We all make it what we want.

We can do this for a nps tank. Or coldwater. Or even a pred and fowlr tank. U will see some diffrences.
Thxs
D

Patience
Light
Money.
Salt
Flow
Heat
Area or space
Excuses
Nutrient export
Amnonia
Opinions
Clean or pure water
Research
Expect.mistakes
Keep your hands out!
Cuc and or beneficial organizims
-d

How bout time?
Every day I need.to clean glass.
Every month wc
Top off tanks...how bout u automated tankers?

Do u need time for your tank?
-d

@spieszak. I did. A reef tank. Meaning warm sw with fish and coral or other inverts.
I believe those are all sub classes to a reef tank. Like having a computer. Or having a gaming computer or photo computer. We all make it what we want.

We can do this for a nps tank. Or coldwater. Or even a pred and fowlr tank. U will see some diffrences.
Thxs
D

So, I guess I don't understand why an NPS tank isn't a reef by that definition then... not a big deal, I just don't know you'd get away with telling them, or the even the coldwater folks they aren't running a reef tank.

You have nutrient export on the list. Have to continue to add them to need to keep removing them, so, it seems nutrients/food should be there too.

They are finding cold water reefs off greenland and parts of japan.
But for the sake of it. We will say nps things mostly live on the bottom with no to low light...I know leathers and feathers and sea pens or watever can b found on a reef. These r coral.
Also I know they're is corals in coldwater. I'm not talking a special tank such as those or seahorses or watever. I can say my reef tank has predator fish in it or I can say my predator tank has mixed corals.
Either way its a reef tank! Nps tanks r not reefs! My coldwater tank is not a reef! Maybe full.of anenomes...but not anywhere close to being a coldwater reef tank.
Research and opinions r up their
D

Sponges and gorgonians too live happily on a reef, and the actual term reef just refers to a rocky area off a coast, so, coldwater fits...
I see your point though and won't continue the argument, I was just noting it because the idea here was to 'debunk' the every tank is different thing, and all of that is part of why the saying exists in the first place... just seems there are as many atypical tanks as there are typical.

Yup all those animals have a relationship on the reef. Making it a reef.
Wat we are all trying to mimic in our lil ecosystems. Thxs reeferman069. I wanted to say biodome lol.

Not trying to debate just makin sure u kno wat I mean by reef tank. I understand where ur comin from too though so it is all wish wash.
I do appreciate the input
D

Where is this thread going? If I am right, we were talking about the fundamentals of a reeftank.

Ok, so now we MUST define a reef tank!

GO!:ranger:

Back