ReefGeekers 90g Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefGeeker

I have been keeping SW for 2.5 years now, I started with a 28g Nanocube HQI and then got another one and that wasn't enough so I bought the 90g off Craigslist for 450 bucks and combined the two cubes. There are a few upgrades i would like to do such as a good skimmer and better lighting (for a future clam) but right now everything seems to be happy. I am completly open to suggestions so feel free to comment and critique. Please forgive my poor photography skills, I plan on having my photographer buddy come take some better pics this weekend and I will actually clean the glass lol. Here is my 90g peice of paradise.

Setup
90g AGA RR with stand and canopy
4x65w PC Coralife
2 Koralia 1400 Circ Pumps on 24/7
~80 lbs LR
40 lbs LS
30g Sump
200 micron Sump Sock Ghetto rigged and changed once a week
Chemipure
Skimmers are Aqua C Urchin on MJ1200 and Aqua C Remora Pro on Rio 1400
300w Jager Heater
Cheato in fuge section
Rio 2100 Return ~ 375gph with head loss

Livestock
4" Yellow Tang
4" Orange Striped Rainbow Wrasse
3" Mandarin Dragonet
3" Firefish
2.5" Pajama Cardinalfish
2.5" Sixline Wrasse
2.5" True Percula Anemonefish

CUC
Coral Banded Shrimp
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
2 Pepermint Shrimp
4 Turbo Snails
6 Blue Leg Hermits
1 Red Leg Hermit
1 Left Handed Hermit
2 Nassarius Snails
6 Bumble Bee Snails
A bunch of micro stars, limpets, and stomattella snails.
Me

Coral
Palythoa
Green Palythoa
A few different Zoas
GSP
Kenya Trees
Anthellia
Torch Coral
Green Flower pot Coral
Duncan Frag
Red and Green Millenpora
Blue Trumpet Coral

Fresh Off of Craigslist
System.jpg

FTS
SAM_1541.jpg

Side Views
SAM_1516.jpg

SAM_1519.jpg

Sump
SAM_1543.jpg

A few Pics
SAM_1551.jpg

SAM_1521.jpg

SAM_1550.jpg

SAM_1544.jpg

:bounce:

Last edited:
Thank you! I aquascaped it like that so i could reach all around the rock work if i had to, and it is hard for detritus to settle anywhere in the tank. In one of the 28 g cube i had i kinda just piled the rocks up after a move and it was a detitus nightmare even with both returns and 2 powerheads running, I really didn't know how bad it was until i took it down and I was like :scared: wow not doin that again.

Since 11/15ish It was seeded with sand from both of my cubes and a little water as well as ~40 lbs of rock, all of the rock came from the two cubes, one of the cubes was filled to the top with rocks awaiting the 90g I transfered everything after it cycled around 12/15ish if i remember correctly oh and the sixline, firefish and Orange stiped rainbow wrasse were added incrementally since then and I am wondering if in the future I can add anymore fish or would the bio load be too heavy? The yellow tang is the only Fish that I would consider Large as the others max out at about 4" with the exception of the Orange striped rainbow wrasse which gets 5".

Oh and thanks for the compliments, I really did search for while before I bought this tank and knew exactly what i wanted to do with it, with the exception of my Skimmer and lights its just what i wanted.

Now I just need some more coral and some really colorful stuff, it seems a little bare and bland to me other than the fish and rocks of course. Maybe I'm just being hard on myself lol.

Lookin good, nice aquascaping but need to be carefull of falling over into glass if undermined by livestock. Is it glued (epoxy), pinned or zip stripped together at all ??? If you make it over I can show you some proven tricks/methods. On that note responded to your pm.

Cheers, Todd

Well to be honest no it is none of the above... It seems sturdy, however I'd love some tips and tricks on that, I wanted to epoxy it but wasnt sure if I could do that while it was wet and didn't want to dry out my LR. Still fairly newb in the grand scheme of things as I have only had two SW tanks before this. I gave a call and left a message went to straight to voicemail I left my # so when you get a chance call me back and I'll head over tonight if that's cool.

Looks awesome man.
Makes me wanna redesign my sump. I have about the same dimensions.
What return are you running again?
And do you have a soft flex return line for it?

I'd like to thank Todd (TJL) for having me over and the great deal on the frags! It was like a mini history lesson on the hobby and I got to see his sweet system which gave me some great ideas for the future of mine. I appreciate everything, ur a very nice guy as are many people on here I wish I would've joined this forum from the get go. I'll post some pics of the new additions later tonight.

My pleasure Chris, nice to have you over and looking forward to seeing where you planted all your goodies. I'll cut out and save a variety of zoa/palys for you when I switch up the Milli and Birdsnest colonies.

Cheers, Todd

I'd like to thank Todd (TJL) for having me over and the great deal on the frags! It was like a mini history lesson on the hobby and I got to see his sweet system which gave me some great ideas for the future of mine. I appreciate everything, ur a very nice guy as are many people on here I wish I would've joined this forum from the get go. I'll post some pics of the new additions later tonight.

NIIiicCCeee !!! Now you have to post pics!

Since 11/15ish It was seeded with sand from both of my cubes and a little water as well as ~40 lbs of rock, all of the rock came from the two cubes, one of the cubes was filled to the top with rocks awaiting the 90g I transfered everything after it cycled around 12/15ish if i remember correctly oh and the sixline, firefish and Orange stiped rainbow wrasse were added incrementally since then and I am wondering if in the future I can add anymore fish or would the bio load be too heavy? The yellow tang is the only Fish that I would consider Large as the others max out at about 4" with the exception of the Orange striped rainbow wrasse which gets 5".
I think once the tank really settles in you can have more fish. When I had my 90 gallon I had 17 fish, 4 of those being larger. Now I had softies with a few LPS so those are corals that are more forgiving about water quality and I was careful about feeding. I made sure everyone was getting enough to stay healthy but never excess. Also I did weekly water changes, about 8 gallons a week. More fish does mean more maintenance but I thought it was worth it. O yeah, I had more like 80lbs of LR so that helps with the bio load too.

Last edited:
Tank looks great! When i moved and set my tank back up, i just tossed the rock back in and piled it up the back because i was worried about the temp of everything in the coolers. Really wish i did it different now. As for more fish, you may want to get a better skimmer. Jmo though.

I think once the tank really settles in you can have more fish. When I had my 90 gallon I had 17 fish, 4 of those being larger. Now I had softies with a few LPS so those are corals that are more forgiving about water quality and I was careful about feeding. I made sure everyone was getting enough to stay healthy but never excess. Also I did weekly water changes, about 8 gallons a week. More fish does mean more maintenance but I thought it was worth it. O yeah, I had more like 80lbs of LR so that helps with the bio load too.

The 40 lbs was just to get it started, I have like 80ish lbs. I only really want 3 more schooling fish maybe Lyretail or sunburst anthias but I want to wait and I want to get a better skimmer. My WC schedule now is 30 gal a month. I've been looking at SWC skimmers just need to find one that will fit in my sump skimmer area 8.75"x11.5"x27.5" are the max dimensions. All other suggestions on skimmers are more than welcome.

Tank looks great! When i moved and set my tank back up, i just tossed the rock back in and piled it up the back because i was worried about the temp of everything in the coolers. Really wish i did it different now. As for more fish, you may want to get a better skimmer. Jmo though.

Thanks pandora! Sounds similar to what i did with my cube worry induced descision making :doh:, and I couldn't agree more on the skimmer upgrade. Although I will say they are producing a dark skimmate (I'll Post pics later), I am just not a fan of the design after researching a bit, the reaction chambers are small, cleaning the whole thing is a PITA, and running two in ineffcient for power consumption of course. On a smaller system individually they would be ok I suppose.

Here are the frags from Todd! Unfortunately the two ~1" frags of the bright green SPS didn't make it they bleached out... :tsk: Everything else looks Great though!!! :becky:

SAM_1560.jpg

SAM_1564.jpg

SAM_1566.jpg

SAM_1570.jpg

SAM_1571.jpg

And I figured I'd throw this pic in not from Todd but cool!

SAM_1565.jpg

I've been looking at SWC skimmers just need to find one that will fit in my sump skimmer area 8.75"x11.5"x27.5" are the max dimensions. All other suggestions on skimmers are more than welcome.

:bump" Im a bit lost here, only want to do this once. Also pondering an ozone unit wide open to suggestions here as well. Links would be appreciated!

Back