ReefGeekers 90g Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

what is the first and last sps pictured.. :D
post a thred in equipment forum or PM SKIMMY
hes the skimmer guru he'll tell you everything you need to know and set you up with the perfect one.

Good Idea sedro, I'll do that. The first is a birdsnest I got from Todd not sure what its called perhaps he can chime in with names, and the last one was a CL score so honestly I'm not sure. So maybe someone else can chime in on the ID on the last one...

I had 3 female lyretailed anthias when I had my 90. 2 of them hung together and bullied the 3rd til they killed it. Eventually the dominant female morphed into a male. I still have the pair in my smaller system. BTW, anthias should be fed a couple times a day at first. I've eventually weaned mine down to just once a day, but make sure they always get something meaty.

I've been looking at SWC skimmers just need to find one that will fit in my sump skimmer area 8.75"x11.5"x27.5" are the max dimensions. All other suggestions on skimmers are more than welcome.

I've always liked the SWC brand skimmers and have one now. But I have been trying to get a new impeller/magnet for the skimmer pump from them for 4 months now.
I ordered it, paid for it, and have not received it yet. I've sent 5-6 emails to them and heard back once, saying they would check into my order. That was about 2 months ago.
Right now, I'd avoid SWC.

Got some new frags last week! :becky: I picked up frags of Frogspawn, Neon Green Hammer, Rainbow Hammer, Rainbow Acan, Blue and Pink Chalice, and a Pink Zoas! I'll post up some pics tonight.

Here are the pics as promised, kudos to sedro for the frogspawn frag BTW :high5: the other frags came from jaysauce both were great people to deal with! Added a rock to cover up the overflow a bit too.

SAM_1615.jpg

SAM_1616.jpg

SAM_1617.jpg

SAM_1620.jpg

SAM_1619.jpg

Here is the rainbow acan frag, not very rainbowy I was told it would be kinda brown if it had too much light so I'm gonna relocate and see.
SAM_1618.jpg

SAM_1623.jpg

SAM_1625.jpg

And a FTS Update
SAM_1621.jpg

Last edited:
Is that Acan a single head of a Acan? Everything looks awesome! Looks really good with your actinics, bet it's crazy in person.
Do those PC s reach good to the bottom so they really glow?

Last edited:
They reach to the bottom alright, yes it is a single head of acan. It is much better in person than the crappy pics lol.

Really starting to look like a Reef in there Chris, but better slow down a bit or will start to consume you.... and end up looking like my Reeftank soon.

Cheers, Todd

Wow, those are nice looking frags. They should be real attractive additions to your tank when they grow out. I really love frogspawn, hammers, and acans. I think they are really my favoritest coral! I'm happy for you.

Hi Chris,

Sweet 90...any plans to upgrade pc to leds ? Also, I think that melanurus is a female...it looks a bit pale compared to mine.

Thanks, I am contemplating DIY vs the OBD LEDs right now probably gonna happen after I upgrade my skimmer tho so it'll be a few months or so. I respectfully disagree on the sex of the melanurus however I did a little investigation and came up with this.
p-80626-hoevens-wrasse.jpg

I think it's pretty clear its a male (my camera sucks) and as formentioned in your thread the female is much duller just like the one I saw at the LFS.
SAM_1551.jpg

Last edited:
Those frags look nice in your tank! Glad you like them...make sure to put the acan on or by your sandbed so the rainbow color comes out more. Got these tips straight from Cherry Corals! The pink zippers and chalice should grow fairly quick for you! Keep us updated!

Thanks, I am contemplating DIY vs the OBD LEDs right now probably gonna happen after I upgrade my skimmer tho so it'll be a few months or so. I respectfully disagree on the sex of the melanurus however I did a little investigation and came up with this.
p-80626-hoevens-wrasse.jpg

I think it's pretty clear its a male (my camera sucks) and as formentioned in your thread the female is much duller just like the one I saw at the LFS.
SAM_1551.jpg

Yup...based on those pics it looks male.

Back