Reeflux 10k vs 12k bulbs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skidclan4

In browsing the SPS forum I noticed some opinions of the Reeflux bulbs and decided to post my inquiry here with the SPS experts.

I have just recently aquired a set of 400 watt Reeflux 10k bulbs. They have been running for about 2 weeks now and appear to be a little pink in color. I have 2 6ft vho's running and even with them on they are still a little pink in color. David at Coralvue is sending me a set of 12k bulbs to try out and they should be here in a couple of days. In a few other posts I noticed how much people like the 10k and dislike the 12k. Can anyone explain anything about how the coloration of the 10k bulbs should be. Also what the deal is with the 12k bulbs and why they are'nt as popular. If I keep the 400 watt 12k bulbs how much growth will I sacrifice vs. color. I have seen them on some tank pictures and they look really nice.

Thanks for the insight.
chad.

Do you have any pictures of the tank? I have been using hamilton 14k bulbs and haven't been impressed with the color or the growth. How long have you been using the bulbs?

color also depends on the ballast you are using to drive the bulbs. Using a 400w PFO magnetic ballast my reeflux 10k SE bulbs run bright white with a tint of blue

I am running 175w 12K bulbs and I love the color! I also have seen a lot of nice growth under these bulbs as well.

In the last year I switched over to the reeflux from XM's. I am running {2} 250w. I absolutely love the color these bulbs present. Mine are not pink, but I have heard that can happen and it is not right and you should get replacements. These bulbs should run a bright, crisp whiteish blue. It's kind of like the XM's and the yellow problems they have. My sps corals have great color although my purples are a bit hard to keep, but the blues are out of this world. I have also read all the threads about the reeflux 400w 12k and how much PAR is lost with them. I have a friend that was using them and he hated them as his awesome sps tank lost most of it's color. He switched out to a 20k.

SueT... That may also be a fluke. My 12K's are awesome and really give the corals nice colors. They are also coloring up great. If you really want a crisp white look you should go with a Coral Vue 10K. They are one of the whitest bulbs out there. JMO

Matt

I only ran one of the Coralvue 12,000K 400W mogul mount bulbs driven by a PFO HQI ballast. It did not produce as much PAR or last as long as the same set up with the 10,000K bulb. Since I only ran one bulb and the tank is 24" deep it may not be typical. I'm currently running 14 of the 10,000K bulbs 12 of which are being driven by PFO HQI ballasts and 2 by PFO pulse start ballast. They run quite white but I have had a few of the older bulbs run a little pink. None in the last year or so have been pink. David really stands behind his products and can assist you in selecting the bulb that fits your tastes/needs.

Regards,
Kevin

Any idea what the par of the 12k bulbs is? I am curious if they will be on the same level as the xm 20k bulbs or maybe a little better. David and Brandy at Coralvue are great people and are really focused on customer service. They are sending me a set of 12 bulbs and I may end up using them.

Dang, when you run the 12K, do you have any VHO? What the color and growth different with the Hamillton 14K?

so are the CoralVue 12k's too blue???? are they as blue as Hamilton 14k's???...i would love something inbetween the Hamilton 14k's and the Xm10k that i have...i am running them on 250 Coralvue ballasts

Wow!!! that looks really blue!!!! what kind of ballast do you have running them???

I don't think they are too blue. I like the ice white color of them with the hint of blue. A fellow tank owner here in Boise just got some of them and they looked great. I know asthetics and what I perceive as great color are important, however I don't want to stop the growth of my corals either. I guess I will just have to wait and see when I get them next week.

I have coral vue ballasts. The growth on them is great things are opening like they never have before. I am very happy with these bulbs!

Back