Relocating Anemones

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The Shark

Killer Blenny
My favorite RBTA has now split three times since I have owned him. I am fine with two in my tank, but the third has taken a position that is stinging some of my corals, and I would like to sell him to a good home.

He has anchored himself in one of my largest rocks, so selling the rock with him is out of the question.

Does anyone know how to get an anemone to "move" out of their current location? The hope is that I can capture him while moving, bag him up, and ship it off.

Thanks in advance

I've heard of a few ways to try and get Bubble-Tips to let go of where they are... and varing success with them.

Apply Ice to their foot. I've never tried this one... but in our tanks (77-80degrees) I would think you would go thru Ice rather quickly.

Use a power head, to apply direct flow against their foot. This one I tried, and does work... as long as you are very patient.

Slowly work a fingernail under foot, and lift. This was the original method I was hoping to use... but with the shape of most rockwork... getting any part of my finger's under them easily wasn't happening. Would most likely work very well if it was attached to something smooth like the side of the tank though.

Chip fragments of rock under the foot, removing Anemone and rock-fragments at same time. This one scared me... worrying that as the rock chipped, it could possiblly tear the anemone's foot??? I didn't try this one either.

Hopefully, one of these methods will help you... or others will join in here with what has worked for them.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Ed has all of the really good suggestions.

They like to pick the biggest rock to attach to. Is the rock removable or is that not a possibility. If the direct powerhead does not work then my suggestion would be to lift the rock out with some help and have someone balance it on the rim of the tank just barely out of the water with the face of the anemone still hanging in the water. Now the rock is bad (out of the water) and the face is in the good spot (in the water). This will cause the anemone to streach toward the water possibly detatching (only in your dreams) but this position puts pressure on the foot and gives you a clear picture of any weak or accessable spot to get your fingernail under to start prying. Once you get a spot lifted go for it quickly and steady and do not let it reattach. Prepare for some unhappy slime. Once he is free contain him in an easy access (smooth) area.

Best of luck....

Candy

I have also heard that if you shade the anemone, it will move toward the light. Of course, you have to have something around it to climb onto, otherwise it will just move along your rock. They move pretty fast when they want to. It might be the easiest thing to try. As far as ice goes, I think it works well only if the anemone is attached to the glass (then you apply ice to the other side of the glass and the bugger lets go). Good luck. BTW, you wanna sell it to me? :)

Back