Replacing MH bulbs, which should I get?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JIvePhotography

Green Bubble
I have a Current Outer Orbit 250w +4 36w T5s. The MH bulbs that come on the current are their brand at 14k. I want to get nicer blue color in my tank that helps my coral's colors 'POP' more. Which would be the best double end (DE) halides that I sould get? What about my T5s?

I've read about Radiums and Ushio bulbs since they've gotten good reviews but I only seem to find them in single screw in ends that won't work in my light.

what about the new ELOS 20k? Thats what I am going to use next. Using radiums right now.

for 250 de bulbs my favorites are the phoenix 14k, great par color and lifespan, for 150's i prefer the 20k radium, and for 400's i use the 20k reeflux, all great bulbs IMO,
They only make radiums in SE 250's

Ok after reading this thread, I checked and my bulbs are 20 months old ( never would have thought that they were that old). So now is a good time to check. My current ones are Phoenix 14 k, I am going to try CoralVue 250watt DE Hqi 20,000K, will get some before nad after pictures. Should be a big difference with 20 month old bulbs

thats the great thing about phoenix bulbs, they have been tested to last 18+ months, and most of the appreciable par is lost in the first three so they still stay relatively bright that whole time period.

Back