Restoring color on my live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kylehustonvw

My tank was attacked with green hair algae so while I was in the process of switching tanks I stored all my exposed live rock in a trash can (with a heater and powerhead) I am still fighting the green hair algae problem in the reservoir after a month but Ive noticed all my beautiful live rock that had purple Coraline and other colors on it have now faded or are nonexistent..How do I restore the colors I previously had on my live rock???Coraline accelerator??

not much you can do, some of it will come back with light. What i do is I make a coraline algae slushy by getting some tank scrappings and blend it up in a food processor and dump in in your display tank with the rock. i did it every time i scraped my tank glass and it made crazy purple rock. =)
make sure your calc and mag numbers are good.

Yea, if you can get some coraline scrapings from someone and toss it in the tank it should catch and spread over the rocks. Also, you want to make sure your water parameters are in check where calcium and alk are concerned. With that said, a lot if the time, when rocks have lost their color they still re-gain their color when exposed to light once again. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back