Return pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Xtremedave67

So my next question??????? a friend has an Overflow and 10 g sump he can set me up with. for our 44g corner tank we are setting up.
I have heard that the return pump is really a place you want to not pinch pennies......so recomendations here? friend mentioned a Danner Mag drive?
I see Pumps are rated at GPH, with a 44 G with overflow and a 10 Gal sump/Fug what would be optimal size pump for this?

Thanks for the advice :)

You ideally want 3-5 times tank size per hour. For example in a hundred gallon tank you want 300-500 gph return.

Ehiem makes great pumps. You also need to figure out your head pressure to size appropriately.

head pressure? yikes that is a new term I havent read yet.....what is that meaning?

so with a 44 gallon at 4-5 X volume I am looking at about a 250-300 GPH return?

head pressure is the amount of pressure added to the movement of the water vertical EG. it takes more to move water up 5 feet. so you have to add that in to you calculation to arrive at the right gph at the return. ( hope this makes sense )

from what I've seen

most people with 75gal tanks run 750-1000gph return pumps
most people with 90 gal tanks run 1000-1400gph return pumps

I have a 75gal tank, just upgraded from a 750gph to a 1050gph
I believe my built in overflow is rated for about 600gph

for all glass aquariums with built in overflows:
"Aquariums up to 110 gallons are fitted with one MegaFlow Overflow and are rated for a maximum flow through of 600 G.P.H. (Using a rated 2,400 G.P.H. pump at a 5 foot head). "

Last edited:
One thing you should consider is the size of your sump.
A 10 gallon sump is pretty small, so when you pick the pump, consider the sump and the overflow rating.
With higher flow, you are going to have problems.

the 10 gal sump ( unless we do a 15G high) is max we can fit with that footpring with alloted space of this tank.
and the 10 Gal sump with an overflow I am getting from a friend.
I am trying to wrap my head around what I need to do to set this up, return pump, plumping, etc....

If it was my setup I'd use an Eheim 1250. More reliable than other comparable pumps out there, silent, and no screws to remove when cleaning like on the Supreme Mag Drive. Perfectly sized for your tank plus 3-5 feet of head. The 1/2" return should set up nicely with 1/2" Loc Line return nozzle parts.

Don’t be so concerned about the flow rate. You just don’t need to much. 500 gph max. A ten gallon tank doesn’t give you much room. Heater skimmer and return pump is about all you can squeeze in it and a 15 high isn’t going to give you more room just more head room for water overflow when the power goes off. I run a 210 gallon with 700-800 gph threw the sump. In my opinion its a good amount for this tank. I am setting up a 39 gallon with a 24 gallon sump/fuge with 180-200 gallon return to the tank and I think it may just be a tad over what id like but its not completed yet. My thoughts are that you need no more water flowing threw the sump then the skimmer could process. Anything else is a waste of power. A small quiet one pump would work fine and be low maintenance. I’ve run my for 4 years now and has not had any problems, starts every time and is quiet and could be run wet or dry and very inexpensive. Don’t skimp on the skimmer.

Ok so I thought i posted a new reply :O anyway

I am lost on the head loss calculatir Finn posted http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

I can input the data it requires but then what? I dont see a submit, calculate button. I did manage to find another downloadable calculator.
on that note it asks for horizontal verticle length in feet, or for that matter verticle round up???
and does return line diameter something I need to take into account? or does the pump pretty much dictate that?

I see that there is a problem with the Reef Central calculator.
I remember there was a solution, but I can't remember.

If you do have access to a 15 gallon tank, you will have 30% more evaporation factor.

Back