RO/DI Advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The unit you have in the pic looks good:

2. has tds meter. I can't tell if it's a single or dual tds meter. If it's single, you might want to see how much extra for a dual. On a single, depending on where the probe is positioned, it'll help determine when RO membrane OR DI chamber needs to be changed, but not both. A dual meter will allow you to position a probe between the RO to DI stage, and the 2nd probe after the DI stage. IMO, probably worth it if it's not too much to upgrade.

i guess the one im looking at from the website the $199.00 comes as a dual TDS meter

One thing I don't particularly like is the RO membrane housing is not clear. This is just a personal preference, but I like to be able to see the membrane. They may have a clear housing if you ask.

i just got off the phone with thefilterguys.biz and he said that clear housing membranes have a tendency to build algae. i guess that works.

You have to look at where your unit is going to be. I have clear housings in my basement and have no ilgae issues

yeah mine will be in the basement as well, but im fine without clear housing..

@holygral you said you bought the same unit at TFG did they have the clear housing at that time?

My current 4 stage system is all clear. But I can not rule out that i used 1 or 2 of my old system's clear enclosures. At this point I am not sure what came with it and what I added. Just tell them what you want. Can't go wrong with them, all the hoses are color coded. I know it does not make a difference in performance but it is something that they do not have to do but they do. A very nice unit! Plus when you need new filters, you can just order the package to replenish your system.

Filterguys are GREAT...Period...They are the top of the line...Everythng is made so simple...My unit works Great...And when its time to change up the filters...The package is listed on there site thats designed for your system...Its sooo easy and so convienent....They promply ship and stand by there products....High Quality....First Class...You wont go wrong!!

I can see where a clear housing could cause algae issues I suppose. I have mine mounted under the sink, so there's no light hitting the membrane during normal use.

But, it does make me wonder that if clear housing=algae issues, then why are the filter & DI housings clear? If algae would be an issue for the membrane, I'd think the same for the others too.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll be fine either way...

Rob

Back