RO/DI filter questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N1Husker

RF Staff
I want to buy an RO/DI filter and want to research what to look for. Everyone say that theirs are the best and it gets rather confusing. I can't afford to get one until I either sell my 36 gallon tank setup or wait until October. I turn to you, my fellow reefers to steer me in the right direction, so I don't blindly buy the wrong one. What do I look for and how many stages do I need. I checked my water pressure with a gauge and I have 60 psi coming out of my faucet. I am currently using a TAP Water Filter by API, I have been using this for well over a year and have had good results, but I think I could do better. I don't know what my TDS's are but I see that some have inline meters. I am leaning toward the BRS 4 stage, is this a good one? Thanks in advance.

im going to buy brs 5 stage. will have a 3 stage avilable in a week ill let it go for 80 bucks.

BRS is a good one, but I been told that filter guys have good ones too...FWIW, I use SpectraPure sediment filter and membranes..99.9% rejection rate.

I also run a 5 stage unit from "Filterguys" They had the best price at the time. You should be able to get a good 5 stage unit for approx $125. Better yet RF classified add sometimes has great deal.
The in-line TDS is a good idea. You will be able to better tell when you need to replace your media.

That's what I need to know, re-test meter, "good idea", I just need to get to a point where I can get what I want. I don't know with all of these add on's, ie. dual TDS meters, gauges, etc., what is fluff and what is not necessary. Also has anyone ever bought one of the RO/DI units from Ebay? Is it better to get from like BRS or The Filter Guys, or are they like most of the stuff from Ebay,"junk".

Earl,

the old adage, you get what you pay for I think would apply to Ebay stuff...personally, since water is one of the most important items for your tank, i would stay with BRS or FilterGuys, at least you get some type of customer support if things dont work out...with Ebay, you are on your own.

Senji- yeah that is the one that I like the best, I like the dual carbon filters, 5 micron and .05 micron and the dual TDS meter, I think I will deal with what I am using right now, its been working for a year and a half, plus their replacement filter packages are reasonable. I only have to wait another month and a half and I can get one per the boss (wife). She said I could get one for my birthday.

That is true and I have been there, done that, and swore I would never do that again and I won't. I will stick with what I should and I know in the back of my mind what is right. I really would like a 5 stage with the dual TDS meter and when it is all said and done, that will be when I won't look back thinking, coulda, woulda, shoulda. I like the part about customer support also.

To us it was not only about quality but efficiency as well. We did not want to be wasteful and dump 4 gallons down the drain for 1 gallon of good water. We went with the Vertex Puratek 100 gpd unit with a 1:1.5 efficiency rating. It has a built in pressure pump for consistency in pressure with a pressure gauge and a built in TDS meter. It also has automated membrane backflush. We added a second TDS meter that reads before and after water just to be sure. Its been trouble free since we put it in. That's our .02

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I looked that one up and it is way out of my price range, I will have a $200.00 price limit, so that one is out of the question. It is a nice unit and the waste water is very attractive, but I am not in a position to spend that money. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

Spectrapure has a refurbished model for sale right now for $128.00. Apparently there was a company that had some of these units that went out of business, and sent them back to Spectrapure. They have never been used and have had all new filters put in. I think I might get one of those.

i use a hand held tds meter. They are about $30. I won my rodi from psas. Its air water and ice and i had to purchase the psi gauge.... 75gpd. Its great, also hooked up the hose attachement. Really easy to screw in and use. Id prefer it to be set up and stay put.

Ive heard good things about BRS rodi!

I keep bouncing back and forth on what I want to get. When I compare everything, I am looking at three units, BRS 4 stage with TDS meter and pressure gauge at $169.00, BRS 5 stage with the same equipment at $199.00, but a extra finer carbon cartridge and the 5 stage unit from The Filter Guys at $199.00, comparable to the brs 5 stage model. I have until October so I have lots of bouncing left to do.

I would get the 5 stage unit. With an inline TDS meter. It is on the top of the must have list! You will not regret having one!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

and find out if ur water has chloramines it takes a special filter to remove them. it is not chlorine. just call ur water co and ask.

+1 if u can get a five stage unit i would deff suggest that! In line TDS meter, heck yes!
If four is good than five must be better! LOL

Thank you, the more I think about it I like the 5 stage and BRS and The Filter Guys both have nice units. They're pretty comparable. Thanks senji, I will check that out tomorrow. Good point.

I contacted the City of Renton and talked with the water quality engineering supervisor and he informed me that they do not use chloramines in the disinfecting process of the water or anywhere else in the process. He told me that the groundwater naturally contains ammonia, but it is treated and turned into nitrogen gas and they only use chlorine as a disinfectant which can be removed in the RO/DI filter system. He also said that the water is very low in heavy metals and any trace of metals will also be removed by the RO/DI process. This guy really likes his water, very informative.

Back