RO/DI Stupid Mistake

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
i was just looking at some units online and noticed that some have a flush valve...i went to see if mine had one...i noticed something weird...the water flow arrow on one of the filters was opposite of the flow direction that i had it:eek: :eek: ..i had it coming in where it should have been going out and vice versa.:eek: :eek: my water would literally trickle out from the filter...i posted my concern about this when i bought it...i thought that was the normal flow rate.....i just reversed the 2 lines and this thing is putting out some serious flow now:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ... now my question is....if all the water was still passing through the filters, just in the wrong direction, do you think it affected the water quality??????? i haven't had any algae problems or anything and i have used it alot!!!!

also, do you think it ruined the filters???? the one that has a clear housing, the first filter, has yellowish spots on it

I guess it would use the filter back wards :confused: but now that it is in the right direction is it pumping all the bad stuff into your water now :eek:

I think I would have to research that one.

OMG... i didn't think about that...i think it clogged the last filter(taste)..it won't put out any water at all!!!

ya depends how long these filters have been running but I would change the filters.

It would be like flipping your air filter around in your car

i am ordering new filters as we speak!!!!!.i just wonder what quality the water was that i have been using??????????

Last edited:
i recommend removeing and disgaurding the filter that was backwards.

The stuff thats catchs the stuff (techno bla bla there sorry) catchs the stuff on one, side. so i would think that when the flow is reversed it dislodge's something.

you should set the out let line from the rodi unit in a bucket fill it, and test that water for TDS. that will tell whats going on with that i guess (some more techno bla bla)

but as far as the algae problem goes.

HOw long ago was this change in filters done? only resone im asking is cause if you have just released a bunch of Minnerals and stuff (tds) in 2 your RODO tank->

is this a tank or a direct sump fill?

<- you might not see a algae out brake for some weeks. things like that from what i understand take time to tell. (like everything else)

IF it was me, i would have disguarded my hole 45 gal RO tank, (to the garden or cats or something) and let it refill with new filter

depending on what you have for a ro setup, i would recommend geting your self a DM2 TDS monitor.

THe way i figer it, This thing saves live's everytime i turn the ro tank on, i come back in 5, 10 min ad turn it one, switch to out and it say 0.00tds but then i click In and it says some number between 50 and 80. but as long as that say 0, that means my filters are working

i only have a 4-5g tank to fill...i will fill it a few times and discard the water after i replace the filters......the unit is only 1-2 months old, so are the filters!! i replaced all of the filters except the DI filter..i have to buy some sort of refillable membrane!!!

I second that, if you have TDS meter that should give you an indicator of your water quality before putting it in the tank.

i will have to get one this week...i also just bought the membrane for the DI....that little mistake just cost about $115-$120...

I use one of the inline monitors on my RO/DI. Can't remember where I got it but every time I mix up some new water I just turn it on to see whether it's time to start swapping filters out.

that is true and i wish you hadn't said anything because now i feel retarded!!!

Ron don't sweat the little things, we all screw something up sooner or later, I can count how many times I flooded water everywhere, Dohaaaaaaaaaa!

I have the Kent Marine Maxxima Hi-S. I would like to verify on mine that the blue hose is the good water and the black hose in the rejected water? I did add a flush kit to the unit.

The blue hose puts out less water than the black, is this normal? approx 60% rejection rate?

I will purchase a TDS meter this week.

Thanks
Doug

Yes, typically blue is the good water. Normally I see yellow for the waste water, not black... but you're probably in the clear. As you say, a TDS meter will tell you for sure.

IME is normal for the ratio to be about 1:4 (filtered water to waste).

i am going to call them monday and see if they can ship it any faster.....i need it yesterday!!!!!!

blue is waste water on mine,yellow is from the tap source, and black goes into my holding tank

yellow is tap, blue is pure water, and black is waste on mine

TDS= SAVES LIVES

Back